ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by AGT »

You used to get TRV’s with remote sensing heads think it had a capillary tube to connect them….
Last time i saw one fitted was 25+ years ago
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That was 3 hours to do the introductions and the heat loss calc. I like that. Going to look at a gable end wall placement for the external unit if we can as it ticks many boxes.

All in all an excellent first meeting. Next will be a hard quote and then off to the races, likely in early 25. In the interim i've ordered an auto closing extractor fan for cloakroom and a humidistat auto closer for the downstairs bathroom.

I feel that many things were achieves this morn. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The moment I decided a Zoe EV is on the cards for No1 son was 05.30 this morning on a dark country road after his Yaris broke down.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Depending on what milage he does and the charge options around his normal routes have you considered a brand new -

https://www.dacia.co.uk/hybrid-and-elec ... 76478d8063

We were going to look at one recently and somehow ended up at the Kia dealership looking at an EV 9 instead :whako: but looking online I like the dacia spring although for us as a sensible run around I felt it was around 40 miles short of what we needed, but at the price maybe I would rethink that after a drive??

Anyhow at the price I thought I would mention it in case you hadn't come across them yet ?

and of course sorry to hear your lads car is broke, presumably its not the first time since you are thinking replacement cars?

Moxi
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Andy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:08 am

This is how ours is set up as well.

The problems I found are that the bedroom is quite hard to control. There is no way to turn down the heat at night because with the window open the cold air flows over the trv giving max demand. We tried windows closed with a setback on a digital trv and that didn't really work either because even lightly cracking the window ended up with a gentle flow of cold air over the trv. We have a whole house setback of a few degrees. If you set much lower, the system does a gentle lowering of temperature I found I was never comfortable as I always had the wrong duvet chasing the temperature. Better to have one temp and get the duvet to fit. Thin one for me and one that gives death by crushing for my wife.

The other problem is the kitchen with the WBS. Again I tried digital TRV so the radiators would be turned off when the WBS came on. They were pretty rubbish and we've gone back to the regular wax ones which are quite slow to respond. Its a shame there is no way to have ones that can be controlled by code so that you can fully turn them off as soon as the system detects the stove is on (rapid rise in temp for example).
Honeywell Evohome wireless TRVs can be paired with a separate room stat configured for the same zone. So in your case you could put a room stat in the bedroom away from the window, and another in the kitchen near to the WBS.

However I have not found the Honeywell system very reliable, but I expect other wireless TRV systems will do much the same. Son is very pleased with his Tado.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:22 am Depending on what milage he does and the charge options around his normal routes have you considered a brand new -

https://www.dacia.co.uk/hybrid-and-elec ... 76478d8063

We were going to look at one recently and somehow ended up at the Kia dealership looking at an EV 9 instead :whako: but looking online I like the dacia spring although for us as a sensible run around I felt it was around 40 miles short of what we needed, but at the price maybe I would rethink that after a drive??

Anyhow at the price I thought I would mention it in case you hadn't come across them yet ?

and of course sorry to hear your lads car is broke, presumably its not the first time since you are thinking replacement cars?

Moxi
Cheers, First breakdown on this car but i'm standing there at the aforementioned 5am after the phonecall and the hell for leather rush to site, we're in the pitchblack, said to my son 'GET IN THE CAR' so he's be protected if something hit us and thought, what price my boy? In that frame of mind, the Yaris can f**k off. :D I reckon by tomorrow we'll have a 150 mile range Zoe for him all going well. 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yep I know that feeling with my eldest, I once had to pull up to help him at the side of the A55 with his motor bike, of course no one was giving him any space as they ripped past so I reversed back and put the cones out and the hazards on and forced everyone to the outside lane - got a fair bit of verbal abuse but just ignored it on the basis that if idiots dishing it out couldn't see the danger to the bike rider then their opinion wasn't worth a jot.

Hope it all works out ok.

Moxi
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

I once stopped on the motorway hard shoulder to wait for recovery with my friend who had broken down.

It was 2am and wet and I was in a T-shirt (what an idiot). I said I was going to wait in the car ..... my friend said no and insisted we waited on the embankment. I begrudgingly agreed.

45 mins later around 5 mins before the AA truck arrived .... an articulated lorry came on to the hard shoulder - full speed (i.e. no braking before impact) and wiped out both cars.

both cars were completely crushed. virtually no damage to the truck (police arrived 30 mins later and just hopped in to the truck and drove it off the next junction - not even the headlights were broken!).

Since that point if I am worried about being exposed I will always get out of the car and wait far enough away that I cannot be hit by anything (including my own car if it is hit by someone) and just wait for recovery ..... I am more than capable of fixing most things on a car but it is the risk posed by other motorists that means I won't even attempt it.

Had I stayed in the car on that night in 2014 I would have been dead

I appreciate every instance and road is different - but if you think you are a sitting target then get out and wait somewhere else if it is safe to do so .... gives me the chills just remembering it!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

cojmh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:57 pm I once stopped on the motorway hard shoulder to wait for recovery with my friend who had broken down.

It was 2am and wet and I was in a T-shirt (what an idiot). I said I was going to wait in the car ..... my friend said no and insisted we waited on the embankment. I begrudgingly agreed.

45 mins later around 5 mins before the AA truck arrived .... an articulated lorry came on to the hard shoulder - full speed (i.e. no braking before impact) and wiped out both cars.

both cars were completely crushed. virtually no damage to the truck (police arrived 30 mins later and just hopped in to the truck and drove it off the next junction - not even the headlights were broken!).

Since that point if I am worried about being exposed I will always get out of the car and wait far enough away that I cannot be hit by anything (including my own car if it is hit by someone) and just wait for recovery ..... I am more than capable of fixing most things on a car but it is the risk posed by other motorists that means I won't even attempt it.

Had I stayed in the car on that night in 2014 I would have been dead

I appreciate every instance and road is different - but if you think you are a sitting target then get out and wait somewhere else if it is safe to do so .... gives me the chills just remembering it!
That's a horrible potential to read of, very glad that you are here to write it (buy a fleece). On an A or M road we'd do the same. 5am on a B road up here you're generally ok although the mind looks for werewolves. :D

Heat calc result is in and we are under 8kW loss and that's with the Uw value for the 3g set as low as it can go at 1.0Uw while we will be about 0.75Uw. The recommendation is for a 7kW aerotherm Valliant unit. We are currently horse trading on rad positions and sizes as SWMBO REALLY doesn't want a second rad in the big lounge. After that it'll be the big number. :shock:

Also going for a wallmount external to remove risk of micro climation in a small fenced space and keeping the top under 3mtr height which will let No1 son walk his 6' 6" ness under without ducking. 6 rads to be replaced with 4 advised extra to go in. Hoping to get that down to 2 extra and play with surface area on others. :whistle:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Pipework all ok as currently installed diameters?

Moxi