Octopus epic fail

Joeboy

Octopus epic fail

Post by Joeboy »

Smet2 stopped outputting on i think the 19th Feb 21. Had a comms unit change out end of May and this morning an 'engineer' has been to the house to pull the main fuse for a power cycle. Oh look the meter continues to not work.

Drove off with a vague statement of trying to get back later this afternoon to change out the meter itself if he cleared his other jobs for today. 9 months of incompetence and miscommunication with a large does of apathy and passing the buck.

He did say that the IV postcode all the way over to Skye has 1 engineer who lives in Nairn and is a full two years behind on his work. Was that meant to make me feel better, not sure. Nice lad though, just working within a bullshit system. :x
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Re: Octopus epic fail

Post by nowty »

When you said previously Octopus thought just a power cycle would fix it, I thought, surely as its been such a long drawn out affair, with complicated multiple failures along the way, it would be more efficient just to replace the meter.

Or at least he should have been in a position to replace the meter there and then if a simple power cycle did not work.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

When I had problems with Octopus I found writing an email to Greg fixed in a few hours what the CS team had otherwise been unable/unwilling to fix for many months.

I also found the telephone customer service to be much better than the email customer service.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:31 am When you said previously Octopus thought just a power cycle would fix it, I thought, surely as its been such a long drawn out affair, with complicated multiple failures along the way, it would be more efficient just to replace the meter.

Or at least he should have been in a position to replace the meter there and then if a simple power cycle did not work.
I tried to line that simple cascade of events up a few weeks ago but they weren't having any of it. I've enjoyed the morning venting on kindling with my hand axe. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am When I had problems with Octopus I found writing an email to Greg fixed in a few hours what the CS team had otherwise been unable/unwilling to fix for many months.

I also found the telephone customer service to be much better than the email customer service.
Thanks, been there, done that. I'm also a live customer complaint....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Heard back from Octopus. After the highly technical pulling of the house main fuse. 10 min wait. Reboot and the meter continuing to be not working we are now booked in for 31st January 22 for a meter change out. That will be 9 days off of a full year since it went tits up. Aye, if the new one works. :( On the other hand.... Nope it's s**t all the way.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Well British Gas are supposed to be turning up tomorrow to fit my Smart gas meter after not turning up last week. They phoned me to tell me I would get compensation, £30 I believe, but my account now says I owe them £14 and I have to pay by 6th Dec. Well they do have 10 working days to credit me so they have till next week, otherwise they will owe me another £30. But I am also owed nearly £300 credit balance when PFP Energy went bust early September, not seen any of that yet either. :(
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 pm Well British Gas are supposed to be turning up tomorrow to fit my Smart gas meter after not turning up last week. They phoned me to tell me I would get compensation, £30 I believe, but my account now says I owe them £14 and I have to pay by 6th Dec. Well they do have 10 working days to credit me so they have till next week, otherwise they will owe me another £30. But I am also owed nearly £300 credit balance when PFP Energy went bust early September, not seen any of that yet either. :(
A good aspect of email. Not having to hang on the phone. Best of luck today.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Possibly it’s not actually Octopus at fault.

Smart meters are fitted by a third party company (who likely only get paid for installing new smart meters to dwellings that previously didn’t have one). No real incentive to repair already installed meters and no penalties (to be made to the customer) when things don’t get done.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oliver90owner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:11 am Possibly it’s not actually Octopus at fault.

Smart meters are fitted by a third party company (who likely only get paid for installing new smart meters to dwellings that previously didn’t have one). No real incentive to repair already installed meters and no penalties (to be made to the customer) when things don’t get done.
This has been my thought last couple of days. In saying that, it will cost Octopus in compensation which is never great for a business. I am amazed that they don't have their own meter installation teams. Can only assume it's a legislation issue?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs