ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:31 am The house is from 1929 - we’re the third family.

We understand, though, that stables for a Coach House (1700’s) below us stood on the land.

The amount of, in my limited understanding, building materials contemporary and consistent with the coach house, makes me think the materials came from that.

I’d be surprised if they were imported into the site later.

We’ve got a few spots in the garden where there are lots of broken pottery and clay pipes.

We occasionally find the odd fossil (?Ammonite) ‘lose’ in the garden. The local stone (Moulham Stone) which have been used to build some of the boundary walls (and we’ve used in our projects) is very fossil rich - very easy to find exposed ones in the walls.

The only interesting bit of metal we’ve found is an old poker - think I previously posted a pic.

I’d love to properly excavate and understand the history of the site.
I'd be out there with a cheapo metal detector. A coach house, imagine the amount of folk over the years.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Might have worded it wrong :facepalm:

The coach house is still there and lived in - our garden is just above their roof ridge height. The whole site is on the side of a valley - our house is about 3 metres below road level

The stables were on the land our house was built on.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:57 am Might have worded it wrong :facepalm:

The coach house is still there and lived in - our garden is just above their roof ridge height. The whole site is on the side of a valley - our house is about 3 metres below road level

The stables were on the land our house was built on.
Nah, it'll be me, just ask swmbo!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That's unexpected and odd. 2008 1.0 Toyota yaris with 40,000 miles valued at £1,400 by we buy any car. Type in the 2019 30,000 mile top spec Zoe,....£2,950 valuation. :?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Feeling a bit of large project fatigue today so dropped down in scale. SWMBO went to home bargains and picked up a couple of natural lampshades.

Old shade with 13W low energy bulb

New shade with 13W low energy bulb

New shade with 4W Dubsi style knockoff bulb hand carried back from Turkey.

That's top and bottom of stairs combined, dropped from 26W to 8W and bonnier light.

Small things, big impact. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A good day, No1 out for a thrash in his new EV, loves it! :)

Application in for an IO compatible charger with Octopus, electroverse card on order too. Fortunately we have a long cable so can charge here until install complete. Car cleaned up nice.

No1's going to see if he can charge at work. The actual turbines there. 8-)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

That’s a smart motor Joe - suit the lad well.

What sort of range do you think he’ll get ?

Does seem a belting price - should save him money on running costs too ?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:06 pm That’s a smart motor Joe - suit the lad well.

What sort of range do you think he’ll get ?

Does seem a belting price - should save him money on running costs too ?
Worked out his fuel cost dropping from £50 a fortnight to £5 a fortnight. He'll charge at us until his unit is up and running.

The second EV in the family has expanded my perspective, nice to share and quite simply too. The previous owners said 180/150 Summer/Winter. Octopus again have been excellent.The runs we've went on consistently getting 4 miles per kWh.

That's him there, took me out for a pint & burger to say thanks for the week. He's a good lad. Introduced him to Abbot ale. He likes it!

I am kind of proud as we are 3 families deep.across Scotland with no fossil fuels in our homes and offsetting power against what's available in the market (Ripple). I wish there was more quality choice with multigenerational family investment available In RE but the leap hasn't been made.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Fast turn around on the ASHP Joeboy!
You will have your triple glazing and ASHP installed before mine is rectifed by this rate.

Something ive been pondering. What wind speeds does your turnip need to generate?!

I can get a reliable fan speed of 5- 10m/sec next to my ASHP depending on the fan speed. I have wondered given its sheltered position from crosswinds if a small turbine or similar in its path would generate anything worthwile.

It may be that one causes turbulence and screws with the performance of the ASHP, in which case its an obvious dud idea
But it might pique your interest whilst playing with your new toy in a few weeks to experiment with yours?!
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:58 pm Fast turn around on the ASHP Joeboy!
You will have your triple glazing and ASHP installed before mine is rectifed by this rate.

Something ive been pondering. What wind speeds does your turnip need to generate?!

I can get a reliable fan speed of 5- 10m/sec next to my ASHP depending on the fan speed. I have wondered given its sheltered position from crosswinds if a small turbine or similar in its path would generate anything worthwile.

It may be that one causes turbulence and screws with the performance of the ASHP, in which case its an obvious dud idea
But it might pique your interest whilst playing with your new toy in a few weeks to experiment with yours?!
The output in power is milliamps. I've got it hooked up to a couple of 12v batteries and then onto some garage led lights.

I like your idea of one thing running the other. Although there's not enough power output from the turnip to be worth doing it in our case. The installation has certainly hit a higher gear faster than we expected. SWMBO was asking how long for the installation. I hazard a guess at 4 days?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs