Octopus epic fail

AE-NMidlands

Re: Octopus epic fail

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 am [ught last couple of days. In saying that, it will cost Octopus in compensation which is never great for a business. I am amazed that they don't have their own meter installation teams. Can only assume it's a legislation issue?
I thought they did... see
https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meter ... l-service/
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 am [ught last couple of days. In saying that, it will cost Octopus in compensation which is never great for a business. I am amazed that they don't have their own meter installation teams. Can only assume it's a legislation issue?
Blank page there for me which is indeed apt! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

As far as I can see. Both Octopus and the 3rd party company are unmotivated to carry out the repairs in a timely fashion. Although it is to a horrensous level of unmotivated that beggars belief.

Both companies seem to have placed emphasis on presenting excuses and taking this skill to a new level rather than fixing the problem. At least that's my take from this experience.

It's right up there with 1970's union mentality 'That's no ma job pal'. :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:45 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 am [ it will cost Octopus in compensation which is never great for a business. I am amazed that they don't have their own meter installation teams. Can only assume it's a legislation issue?
I must have found an archived paage via a Google search then.
it was this:
Meet our new smart meter install service
Smart meters
OES team picture.jpeg

We’re beginning to reach the point where we can install the next generation of smart meters at pace for our customers.

A national programme as ambitious as the UK smart meter rollout could never be completely seamless (more detail about that in my previous blog), but we want our customers’ smart transition to be done ‘the Octopus way’ as much as possible.
So, we’re putting a fleet of octopus vans on the streets, piloted by our own meter engineers!

Bear with us — it’ll be a little while before they’re installing at full pace — but here’s a sneak peek of the Octopus Energy Services team and their octomobile:
Octopus Energy Services team.jpg

You can get to know the team a little better on their site.

Look out for our vans around town in the coming months. If you spot us out and about, snap a picture of the van and tag us on IG or Twitter @octopus_energy, and we’ll give you a special mystery prize (let's be real, it’ll probably be a fluffy pink octopus).
Installing sustainably

We’re pushing for fossil-fuel-free future, so it’s a shame to have to admit that the very first vans on our fleet aren’t electric. A meter installers’ setup requires a bigger van with a longer range than the current electric vans on the market (plus, we needed to assemble this super team as fast as possible, and the high demand for electric vans meant our first few had to be non-green in the interim).

We obviously love electric vehicles, and we know how fast the industry is expanding and adapting to suit all driving needs. As we grow, our fleet will electrify ⚡

For now, we’ll be carbon offsetting the emissions from our vans, working together with local Brighton charity Renewable World to ensure any carbon produced is saved in an equivalent amount through installation of clean energy technologies around the world.

Published on 25th June 2019 by:
image of Greg Jackson

Greg Jackson

Founder
Back to Blog
More on Smart meters
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am I thought they did... see
it was this:
Smart meters
OES team picture.jpeg

We’re beginning to reach the point where we can install the next generation of smart meters at pace for our customers.

A national programme as ambitious as the UK smart meter rollout could never be completely seamless (more detail about that in my previous blog), but we want our customers’ smart transition to be done ‘the Octopus way’ as much as possible.
So, we’re putting a fleet of octopus vans on the streets, piloted by our own meter engineers!

Bear with us — it’ll be a little while before they’re installing at full pace — but here’s a sneak peek of the Octopus Energy Services team and their octomobile:
Octopus Energy Services team.jpg

You can get to know the team a little better on their site.

Look out for our vans around town in the coming months. If you spot us out and about, snap a picture of the van and tag us on IG or Twitter @octopus_energy, and we’ll give you a special mystery prize (let's be real, it’ll probably be a fluffy pink octopus).
Installing sustainably

We’re pushing for fossil-fuel-free future, so it’s a shame to have to admit that the very first vans on our fleet aren’t electric. A meter installers’ setup requires a bigger van with a longer range than the current electric vans on the market (plus, we needed to assemble this super team as fast as possible, and the high demand for electric vans meant our first few had to be non-green in the interim).

We obviously love electric vehicles, and we know how fast the industry is expanding and adapting to suit all driving needs. As we grow, our fleet will electrify ⚡

For now, we’ll be carbon offsetting the emissions from our vans, working together with local Brighton charity Renewable World to ensure any carbon produced is saved in an equivalent amount through installation of clean energy technologies around the world.

image of Greg Jackson

Greg Jackson

Founder
Back to Blog
More on Smart meters
Cheers AE, My guess on that if it happens will be down South in greater populated areas. Where the flag can be seen to be flown along with the advertising. Up here its white van man anonymous and so he bloody should be with his performance to date! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 am

it was this:
Smart meters
OES team picture.jpeg

image of Greg Jackson

Greg Jackson

Founder
Back to Blog
More on Smart meters
Cheers AE, My guess on that if it happens will be down South in greater populated areas. Where the flag can be seen to be flown along with the advertising. Up here its white van man anonymous and so he bloody should be with his performance to date! :)
As it was published 2 1/2 yrs ago I guess that they either couldn't recruit, or that their people got poached so it fell flat. Pity, as you get the impression that Octopus (like Ripple) is a vibrant place to be.
A
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Well AE, I have cut n paste Gregs press cutting and asked this.

Hi Alex,

What happened to these guys? So far all I've had are white van drones from god knows where absolutely disincentivised to carry out the work and desperate to get away to the next job. They present as the worst representation of 1970's union workers 'that's not my job'. That's what you as a company have got out there representing you, 1970's union workers with mobile phones and less get up and go than a flattened hedgehog. Absolutely shocking piss poor performance. Does your company know about the 6 P's? Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. We lived by this offshore and got the job done in horrendous conditions.

My understanding is that you Octopus blame the 3rd party contractor for the timetable (what about employing more contractors). The 3rd party contractor blames the timetable or the speed of the hook up centre. Either way they are bursting to get into their van and get away leaving nothing solved. Round and round it goes. How can you as a forward facing innovative company accept this reality and be ok with how you are represented. Don't think of this as only a vent or rage, I am looking for an answer. I should have been on Octopus Go Faster 6 months ago, you guys have completely blown this.

If an answer surfaces i'll bring it here. Might as well increase the Hive mind knowledge!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

As I was raging I thought 'Let's get the Ombudsman involved'

'My smart meter stopped outputting on the 9th Feb 21. I contacted Octopus on the 22nd Feb 21. After endless emails to try and get Octopus moving an engineer arrived on the 17th May and changed out the meter comms unit(on top of the meter). He did not resolve the problem. I then emaileds for further months before finding out that the new comms unit had not even been registered to my home. The old broken one was still on file. After an other uncountable volley of emails from my side I finally had another site visit on the 22nd November. After all these months of waiting the 'engineer' performed a power cycle on the meter, said the meter needs replaced and drove off as his other jobs were 'time critical'. Octopus have made anothe appointment for 31st Jan 22 to change out the meter. 8 days from a full year since it failed. In addition they did not inform me until Aug 21 that due to the meters failure to communicate with them that I was off of Octopus Agile. I only found this out by prompting them on the phone. The information was never offered or reflected in my online account which has been literally frozen since Feb 21. I went to Octopus as a customer to become more involved in RE.This becomes hamstrung though without a fully functioning smart meter. I feel that at every turn in this odyessy I have been forced to be the instigator of action and have had to relentlessly pursue Octopus to push them into any action. All of which has failed to date. I feel physically sick when i reflect on the cascade of ineptitude and apathy that has led me to contact you today as a final resort.'

Ah, That's better! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

If the meter is not sending the information, are Octopus sending a bill - is it estimated or do you have to read it. Maye if you become unable to read your meter they will send a meter reader probably when you're not in. You might have to inform tham that the 31st Jan is no longer suitable at some point in January. Once it gets to more than 12 months without a bill dont rules apply that they can't bill you for anything over 12 months? One way or another will apply more pressure on them, possibly not having to pay anything supplied more than 12 months ago might be seen as a form of compansation. :)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Countrypaul wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm If the meter is not sending the information, are Octopus sending a bill - is it estimated or do you have to read it. Maye if you become unable to read your meter they will send a meter reader probably when you're not in. You might have to inform tham that the 31st Jan is no longer suitable at some point in January. Once it gets to more than 12 months without a bill dont rules apply that they can't bill you for anything over 12 months? One way or another will apply more pressure on them, possibly not having to pay anything supplied more than 12 months ago might be seen as a form of compansation. :)
Not a bad idea! :lol: Sadly I am damned by my morals and can't, It's just not me. I am so used to making processes flow and work together to maximise performance that this zero comms, stop motion filming type deal of nothing at all happening has made my blood boil.

I grew up in an area that was absolutey decimated by union shop think and watched the whole economy slide down the toilet as a lad and all that came after that. It has been scarred into my mind as 'not my job pal' and a general willingness to look around for an excuse not to do rather than just cracking the F on and getting it done.

Likely a reason why I am as I am. Coupled with my current feeling of injustice at this poor performance by Octopus/3rd party meter tits I contacted the Ombudsman and opened a complaint. Strangely cathartic, unexpectedly so actually. ;)

These fools need to be held to account and this is a way I can do that.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs