Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 1:55 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 1:38 pm
nowty wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 1:25 pm SWMBO has a small holding in a 2.5MW solar project to the east of Dundee, PVGIS gives quite a remarkable annual yield at 933kWh per kW installed, only 4% less than 991kWh for DW in Devon. I had a work colleague who went to University in Dundee and he told me of the cold howling winds coming from the river Tay Estuary.
https://dres.coop/wp-content/uploads/20 ... cument.pdf

I like how its going to be used to help power the James Hutton Institute.
https://www.hutton.ac.uk/
That's the one I didn't go for, no real reason why tbh.

This one is going up on the edge of the city at the roundabout from hell. It's a big installation. IMHO Dundee is THE Scottish RE city .
I'm pretty certain your photo is that project as its just off the roundabout at the west end of Dundee (I previously said east when I meant west.:facepalm: ).
Its also got the project logo on the sign, thanks for the update. :praise:
Now I know I'll keep an eye out and update when I pass. They are making good progress as are the civil works at the roundabout.

As to the Silvery Tay. It's a true force of nature and awe-inspiring.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

KH is still being curtailed !!!!! :x :x
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 3:01 pm KH is still being curtailed !!!!! :x :x
We need those North South interconnects upgraded or a more flexible nodal grid strategy to get the power off the turbines and into the homes & cars in the generation areas.

The focus should be on getting that gas count down. Leave it in the ground and sell that power to the consumer at 1p per kWh in the surrounding areas. That's just (!) software coding not infrastructure upgrades (assuming working smart meters installed).

I asked the other day if all turbines at Kirkhill were outputting. No answer from Ripple.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
John_S

Post by John_S »

Is there an order of merit (or demerit) in which wind farms are curtailed or is it a matter of last connected, first curtailed?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Ripple paid out on the 19th of the last 2 months... we're now at 21st and no sign of it at Octopus yet! (But they did take several days after it arrived in my bank to show the cash withdrawal I made from my account! perhaps their account credits are always several days in arrears?)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

John_S wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:04 pm Is there an order of merit (or demerit) in which wind farms are curtailed or is it a matter of last connected, first curtailed?
The rules are not that straight forward, and for KH it was explained by Ripple in quite a lot of detail back in August.
See link below or read a summary of it below were I've taken all the bits regarding the outage out of it.
Also note GF is small and on the distribution network, it will only be constrained if there is a grid fault or grid maintenance, and expect WB to have a higher amount of curtailment than KH as it will only be connected to the transmission network.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 790#p48831

The Balancing Mechanism is used at a UK level by National Grid to balance national supply and demand. Under the terms of our connection contract, due to the scale of the wind farm, we will eventually have to start participating in the Balancing Mechanism. This means we will submit prices at which we're willing to be constrained off when National Grid requires this, usually during times of high wind output and low demand. We won't always be instructed to go off during these periods. When we are, the wind farm will receive a payment which will go towards the operating costs pot (Ripple doesn’t get the payment), ensuring there is still a benefit for all the Kirk Hill members. When instructed, the turbines will be remotely set to turn down or turn off; this will be done via our Asset Manager, RES, through their control centre.

There can be other more local bottlenecks though, and these are not 'static' - they change due to temperature of cables and transformers, and as power demand changes. It is very, very uncommon to have a completely 'firm' grid connection (which the generator can have unobstructed access to, even during planned maintenance of a circuit or when there is a fault). Doing so would essentially require a parallel grid connection and additional capacity on the network, which would be unused for the vast majority of the time. This would be a waste of resources and prohibitively expensive. To avoid this, grid operators have a variety of tools to allow timely and cost-effective connections for generators.

One of these is a Load Management System (LMS). Kirk Hill is subject to an LMS. During normal conditions, there is no restriction on our output and our connection can take our full 18.8MW of power. Some of this power is then distributed to the local 33kV network, and surplus is exported up through the transformers at Maybole and onto the 132kV transmission network. In some conditions (typically in summer, when local demand is lower; during summer storms; and often if one of the transmission circuits and/or transformers is offline for maintenance or with a fault), the remaining transformer and/or transmission circuit could start to approach its maximum capacity. When this happens the LMS sends escalating signals to the wind farm to reduce power, or go off completely, and the Ripple dashboard will reflect that reduced power output.

Curtailment due to LMS signals is not compensated, and so we won't receive any payment for this from SPEN (the alternative would be to pay millions to have a ‘firm’ connection). Whilst not ideal, this had been accounted for in the projections for the wind farm, so this is not unforeseen.

A more sophisticated control system may be put in place by SPEN in future that constantly calculates how much headroom is available on the system and sends signals to the wind farm to operate using that headroom. But this is a number of years off yet.
16.9kW PV > 108MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 24MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3