Making PLANTE batteries, 550ah 2v cell.

billi

Re: Making PLANTE batteries, 550ah 2v cell.

Post by billi »

:D sounds like Paul from Scotland :lol:

Is it ?

But nevertheless .... its a no brainer to cover each roof be it new or retrofit , with PV it is a Must now
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

Yes PV is good for now, and price is good for what it does.

However the Supply chain from China is struggling.

Just ordered a full pallet, 36 off 400w monos Trina Vertex type. At 2.6e per watt. Includes all taxes and transport. French Supplier as well!.

I need 24 for a new static array, and my friend in the next village wants 12 to increase is PV array.
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

Stan,

Yes that Vid is a a good start at the PLANTE plate forming process.

But for our use we need to create a matrix grid pattern in the lead sheet, so that the active surface area increases and the oxide formation is stable and at least 0.5mm to 0.75mm into the surface of the lead sheets. Eg, we turn the first 0.55mm of the surface of lead into a Oxide paste.

Using rollers is great for the vertical grooves but going horizontal with rollers may be an issue. However if you were to manufacture the rollers with the correct 0.5mm depth and 0.5mm wide grooves and at 0.5mm wide then maybe.
But i am trying to keep all the making stuff as simple as possible, hence a hand roller that can be manually pushed into the lead for vertical and horizontal grooves.
I have a swiss SCHAUBLIN machine that would make these rollers very arcuately and without any difficulty, and keeping the stainless steel grooved roller to 26mm OD and about 55mm long would be repeatable very easily.

Its just learning how to press down evenly and push and pull the handle on the roller at a consistent pressure and distances.

Also intend to leave about 10mm of the original plate on its edges, un-grooved so to aid stiffness and structure to the lead plates. But this will need assessing further.

I am also trying to keep the contacts from the plates themselves to the case as minimal as possible hence the hanging on the positive bars and the negative bars concept. But this will also need assessing and i might form small plates from the plate support bars that could take a lead rivet through them to improve electrical contact. But again this needs accessing for simplicity and a simple as possible build process.

Also have to work out if the battery itself were to fall over what would happen?

Yes, i have plans, and tested some stuff, but its trying to keep it simple, Robust and yet cost effective.

Remember I have a plan, and yet still inventing as I go, and that is what good R&D is all about.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Clockman. Could you make a die so that you could form those grooves in one go in a press; maybe 2 dies so that the grooves are staggered on opposite sides of the plate?
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

billi wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:57 pm :D sounds like Paul from Scotland :lol:

Is it ?

But nevertheless .... its a no brainer to cover each roof be it new or retrofit , with PV it is a Must now
;)
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

Feb 2023. How to make your own, 440amp-550amp hour, PLANTE lead acid batteries.

The more you use a PLANTE battery the better it gets, and it lasts many decades.

The project is still progressing.
Just a few photos and updates on the Lead sheet roller JIG set up. We need consistant rolled plates and 12 sides need rolling per 2v battery.

We have 14 lead plates in each battery the photos show the Lead plate surface roller making the 0.5mm depth grid pattern into each surface and on both sides.

I am trying to keep this process simple and can be done with simple tools by anyone, anywhere on this Planet.

Remember we want the surface of the lead to turn to lead oxide so the amperage can be good from the word go, rather than awaiting many years for the battery cell to get to 440amp to 550amp hour.

Also, as you can see with this simple modern method, we increase the surface-active area considerably by using the roller method.

Last edited by ClockmanFRA on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

The Vertical roller and the finished Lead sheet face.

Fintray

Post by Fintray »

That's some amount of work you are putting in to each battery!

Is the moveable guide bar the same width as the roller, in that do you roll either side of the guide then move it along?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

The movable guide bar is drilled and mounted for just one side of the roller at a time as using both sides means that any inacruate measurments get magnified badly.

I no longer have a large milling machine that i could use the digital read out and drill accrutely for every hole.

Just one side only does mean that its 19mm between each roller run.

And importantly this way the locating holes can be done with a pair of divders, 90 degree angle square and a centre punch reasonably accrutely, so no need for special machine tools.