Octopus epic fail

Joeboy

Re: Octopus epic fail

Post by Joeboy »

Well, after all that messing about for 11 months I am finally on Go. Adjusting hive time slots now and away to hunt down a change over switch so I can switch HWT from solar iboost to domestic at the flick of a switch Winter/summer rather than a rewire. :D

Our fossil fuel use just took a massive hit! 👌

What's that noise? Is it a wind turbine spooling up soon? :lol:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:56 am Well, after all that messing about for 11 months I am finally on Go. Adjusting hive time slots now and away to hunt down a change over switch so I can switch HWT from solar iboost to domestic at the flick of a switch Winter/summer rather than a rewire. :D

Many solar diverters have the option to add a timed boost, if yours doesn't then it might be a good time to upgrade to an eddi...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:13 am
Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:56 am Well, after all that messing about for 11 months I am finally on Go. Adjusting hive time slots now and away to hunt down a change over switch so I can switch HWT from solar iboost to domestic at the flick of a switch Winter/summer rather than a rewire. :D

Many solar diverters have the option to add a timed boost, if yours doesn't then it might be a good time to upgrade to an eddi...
Cgeers, I can add a boost via my Ibot switch. Or I could just run a cable in today off the back of a Hive switch and call it good until Spring. Might just do that. Its not exactly the season to find switches. Quite shocked at how fast it went from my last mail in an endless series to BOOM, you're on. :twisted:
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Its all going swimmingly now, Just switched from Go to Go faster 5hrs 5.5p 21.30 to 02.30hrs and offered intelligent which I have passed on for the moment until I see how Go Faster plays out. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Its all happening today. Batteries are charging from PV too! A mighty 420W off of 9kW PV! :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This has been enjoyable today. All Hive plugs set for the upcoming Go Faster No1 run. Disconnected the iboost and have run a cable from a hive plug direct to immersion coil. The Best part was zone 1&2 GCH to the off position as well as HWT to the off position for gas. :D

Batteries are at 70% soc at 16.00hrs. Entire house has run off batteries today with no gas. This is a bold new day for us and a long time coming! Can't quite get my head around gas is off. Upcoming shall be the battle of the gas hob which I shall lose,...mightily.

Have also loosely run in a 800W storage heater in our bedroom. This was a free pick up back in Spring and on standby in garage until today rolled around. I like that, recycled and offsetting fossil fuel use. ⛽ Rather than in a landfill! Once its all drawing from the big spinny thing in Wales and we are being paid 3p per kWh and a free kWh to use I may very well take up yoga again. This is overall and without a doubt one of the most satisfying sequence of events I have ever set in motion.

Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I know it’s been said in other topics, Joe, but do try to test an induction hob. I was sceptical until I tried, and was very impressed.

Think Nowty and Gus tried a single ‘ring’ hobby from IKEA for about £30 - they gave a good report.

If your mid-term aim is to lose the gas (scary), I’d start doing some schmoozing now, particularly as your lecky will probably be less than gas per KWh when you annualise it.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:02 pm I know it’s been said in other topics, Joe, but do try to test an induction hob. I was sceptical until I tried, and was very impressed.

Think Nowty and Gus tried a single ‘ring’ hobby from IKEA for about £30 - they gave a good report.

If your mid-term aim is to lose the gas (scary), I’d start doing some schmoozing now, particularly as your lecky will probably be less than gas per KWh when you annualise it.
Cheers BTB, I have a 2 ring induction hob and it is excellent. If I have got this right SWMBO will have 3 options for cooking, WS,induction hob and gas. I can't direct her as she'll dig her tackety boots in. She'll get there in her own style. Pretty sure it was your own 1.5MWh gas use pa that made me game all this out. Last piece was today and it was literally 'click'. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:02 pm I know it’s been said in other topics, Joe, but do try to test an induction hob. I was sceptical until I tried, and was very impressed.

Cheers BTB, I have a 2 ring induction hob and it is excellent. If I have got this right SWMBO will have 3 options for cooking, WS,induction hob and gas. I can't direct her as she'll dig her tackety boots in. She'll get there in her own style. Pretty sure it was your own 1.5MWh gas use pa that made me game all this out. Last piece was today and it was literally 'click'. :)
Soz, probably missed that - think your approach is the most, ahem, diplomatic.

If I’m honest, the induction hob we used was better than gas in some ways, it’s just that I’m wedded to something tangible to cook on and I have a love of flames :roll:

Yes, I know it’s something I’ve got to manage. Pyromaniacs Anonymous anyone ?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:19 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Soz, probably missed that - think your approach is the most, ahem, diplomatic.

If I’m honest, the induction hob we used was better than gas in some ways, it’s just that I’m wedded to something tangible to cook on and I have a love of flames :roll:

Yes, I know it’s something I’ve got to manage. Pyromaniacs Anonymous anyone ?
I'll have to mind and bring a Zippo in Spring then. Who am I to deny urges? Below is the gas meter reading. Its been live for 15 days so that's about 720kWh gas and that's mostly been HW. It sneaks up on ye for sure. I am approaching this whole energy picture in 2 ways. Firstly, How much?!!! Secondly, have a fallback for a fallback. We are three layers deep at the moment without being weird which if we allow weirdness brings us up to five layers deep of fallback before the cold can bite us.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs