Sneaked under the radar.....

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Ken

Re: Sneaked under the radar.....

Post by Ken »

The problem is not domestic cars as they do not all charge at the same time nor every night - they just dont do the miles.
Working on 4mls/kwh and the average mileage being c 7000mls/yr then thats 1750kwh/yr = 33kwh/wk ie in a general average sense cars only need to be charged once per wk. That coupled with overnight charging means i do not see a problem and neither does the Nat Grid as they have written.

For me the problem is HPs -on for very long periods of time in Beast from East moments. These could double peoples leccy use ex EV
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

In terms of this Regulation the interesting parts I thought were these exceptions and definitions (my emphasis):

3.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), these Regulations apply to charge points(5) which are intended to be used for charging cars, vans or both of them, other than
(a)non-smart cables;
(b)public charge points;
(c)rapid charge points.

(3) (b)“non-smart cable” means an electrical cable which is a charge point but which is not able to send and receive information;

(3) (d)“rapid charge point” means a charge point that allows for a transfer of electricity to an electric vehicle with a power of not less than 50 kilowatts;

As I read it, EV home chargers sold after 30th June (or 30th December 2022 for the Schedule 1 requirements) that are more than just a dumb cable, must have smart-meter capabillity built-in to the charger itself, together with the security logging (Schedule 1-10).

I can't see that just putting an existing smart charger through a separate smart-meter is going to comply, especially with those Schedule 1 security requirements.

As above, granny cables are exempt. That definition of "is not able to send and receive information" could be widely interpreted.

I can't see that this applies retrospectively to any existing charge points, only to new ones or replacements to existing ones.

All the enforcement actions that are defined can only be taken against suppliers and not home-owners themselves as private dwellings are exempted.

Given the short timescale for implementation, manufacturers must have had some knowledge of this for quite a while, I would have hoped.

Happy to be proved wrong about any of my assumptions here.
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

The very reason I, and probably most others on here had PV installed in the first place, was to be in control of our own energy generation. Also to ensure it was a sustainable and non polluting source making it difficult for others to criticise any pollution created when running an EV. :mrgreen:
So far it's worked well with 75% of charging completed through PV so guess if I get taxed on the rest I shan't have too much to complain about, especially if some of it can come off a three pin plug!
Agree with Galahad that I can't see it being introduced retrospectively, either from an ethical or technical perspective. But who knows!
Andy

Post by Andy »

It specifically mentions it doesn’t apply to devices “sold” before June. I don’t have the document right now so can’t link to it.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:51 pm The very reason I, and probably most others on here had PV installed in the first place, was to be in control of our own energy generation. Also to ensure it was a sustainable and non polluting source making it difficult for others to criticise any pollution created when running an EV. :mrgreen:
So far it's worked well with 75% of charging completed through PV so guess if I get taxed on the rest I shan't have too much to complain about, especially if some of it can come off a three pin plug!
Agree with Galahad that I can't see it being introduced retrospectively, either from an ethical or technical perspective. But who knows!
But if your charging point is logging all your leccy going into your EV and taxing it accordingly, then potentially even your own Solar PV leccy going into the EV could be taxed too.

But if its still OK to use a 7kW dumb charging cable via a 32A commando socket, then I'm not too concerned.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

nowty wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm

But if your charging point is logging all your leccy going into your EV and taxing it accordingly, then potentially even your own Solar PV leccy going into the EV could be taxed too.

But if its still OK to use a 7kW dumb charging cable via a 32A commando socket, then I'm not too concerned.
I was wondering that too. In one section it mentions the information transmitted. It states that imported and exported energy is transmitted. I guess that gives the like of the myenergi and the zappi the ability to only report grid use.

It’s a worry as I’m upgrading to 18kw of panels and don’t want to be charged in the same manner as making whiskey
Last edited by Andy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Andy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 pm It specifically mentions it doesn’t apply to devices “sold” before June. I don’t have the document right now so can’t link to it.
I'd better get my order in now then and put on the shelf/ temp install until new house is built and it can be permanently installed..
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I specifically bought a dumb/non grant charge point because I didn’t want the grid slowing it down at their whim. I then had to “hack” it to make it “smart” via a smartplug…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Andy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 pm It specifically mentions it doesn’t apply to devices “sold” before June. I don’t have the document right now so can’t link to it.
Could it be this from the link earlier;

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

What if you make your own charging point?

https://ecoharmony.co.uk/collections/bu ... r-own-evcp
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)