Hyundai Ioniq 5

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Joeboy

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am Also, being a cash buyer cuts away a lot of the paperwork so i'm an easy customer.
That may be true, but it's not my experience. Being a cash buyer 3 times now (in 35 years!) I have found every time that they are annoyed that they are not going to get the ongoing income from a finance deal. I'm not buying above the base model, and not fancy cars either, but I assumed they would at least be polite just to get my cash.
On one occasion I almost got to the point of saying "Do you want to sell me this car or not?"

They don't like us buying a car and keeping it decades, but what they don't realise is that several neighbours have noted the longevity and generally trouble-free cars we have had - and changed their troublesome Fords etc for our Vauxhalls. (They are also very pleased with the reliability of their cars now.)
I think there may be a slightly different mentality in fleet sales. Glad the Griffin is working for you. Had quite a few over the years myself.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am Also, being a cash buyer cuts away a lot of the paperwork so i'm an easy customer.
That may be true, but it's not my experience. Being a cash buyer 3 times now (in 35 years!) I have found every time that they are annoyed that they are not going to get the ongoing income from a finance deal. I'm not buying above the base model, and not fancy cars either, but I assumed they would at least be polite just to get my cash.
On one occasion I almost got to the point of saying "Do you want to sell me this car or not?"

They don't like us buying a car and keeping it decades, but what they don't realise is that several neighbours have noted the longevity and generally trouble-free cars we have had - and changed their troublesome Fords etc for our Vauxhalls. (They are also very pleased with the reliability of their cars now.)
Yeah. I’ve had to take finance despite being a cash buyer several times. Luckily you can pay it off the next day without penalty. Just a faff filling out the paperwork.

That saved me £4.5k on my A6. Only £750 on the iD4 but it all counts!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Similar experience for me too, I think the dealerships make more on the add ons and finance than the car sale, if you haggle.

Weirdest experience was buying a Vauxhall Meriva in the eraly 2,000's. Wifey and I haggled down a basic model from about £12k to £10k, but was still a stretch for us, so I sent in the big guns (Dad) to haggle. Next day he rang to say shall I tell them to order one for £8,400?

But to get that price he had to spec it up £400 with A/C, as there weren't many available/pre built without A/C. And we had to take out finance for 48 months, but it allowed for part payment after 3 months with no interest penalty, crucially there was no restriction on the size of the part payment. So 3 months later we went to pay off all but £1, and they decided to just close it completely as it would be a pain to take 2p to 3p a month off us for 45 months.

Such a silly game to have to play, but well worth it if you knew the rules.

Its replacement 8yrs later was the easiest purchase ever. We stopped at a dealership just on the offchance of viewing some secondhand Meriva's and the salesman asked if we fancied a new Zafira. I laughed back that we couldn't afford one (I think they started at £16k then), and he said there was a deal on for £9,950 with £500 cashback ....... first time in my life I was speechless. I assume that Vauxhall had an overproduction/stock problem and needed to dump them. Sold it after 7yrs for £4k to buy the second hand Ioniq BEV.

The world of car dealerships and pricing is a crazee one that I doubt I'll ever understand ..... even if my dad does.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I sometimes think of the episode of the Sopranos where Tony and Junior talk about the "Executive Game".

The Executive Game is a poker game the gangsters host in order to supply customers for their loansharking business. The car manufacturing business is the same. Just a way of creating finance customers. It is amazing how they've created a culture of people buying a new car every 3 years on finance they cannot really afford.

If you're not taking the finance they're not interested. Partly because you won't have a "ballon payment" hanging over you in a few years that they can use to get you to take another finance agreement on another car.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That's the fitter just left. Easee One unit is in place and working. Will top out at 32A (7.4kW) if a suitable EV connected. A nice bit of kit as is the software controlling it. Gon the Noggies! :)

https://easee.com/uk/

Busy year lads and its only the 12th Jan. :)

Also removed and sold the Leafbox from the Leaf and put er back onto standard plates. She'll be off to we buy any car in a couple of weeks. :(
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Leafbox?

The easee is one i'm pondering, how did you come to choose it against the zappi mk2 Joe?

A decent charger will be my birthday present to the wife so could do with a blooming prompt summation Joe :lol:
(& clock is ticking on uk grant for chargers)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:00 pm Leafbox?

The easee is one i'm pondering, how did you come to choose it against the zappi mk2 Joe?

A decent charger will be my birthday present to the wife so could do with a blooming prompt summation Joe :lol:
(& clock is ticking on uk grant for chargers)
Leafbox is a wee algorithm box which introduces glide mode zero load drawn. It can step the Mile's per charge up 10 to 15%. My PB was 98 Miles on a 24kWh battery.

On the Easee one, I spoke to the company, said what I was looking for and liked the look of the app. No more complicated than that! It's a nice wee thing, very well built. Norwegians do tend to build decent gear and I worked with them at sea for decades. Not to say that Eddi don't of course. That summation is I recognise of absolutely no use. Nonetheless...

I also have a vague memory of some of the early Eddi gear being a tad fragile and prone to failing. When I'm aware of that in a companies history I tend to dismiss them.

It may be purile but I am completely suckered by the pulsing led strip denoting charging flow. :roll:

https://topcharger.co.uk/easee-one-charger-review/
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah, the Scandi directness is appealing I understand, I got some straightforward replies to questions from the Gnorwaii team & "murky" response from the uk based arm of distribution.

How much with the EV discount did it work out to? (nosey)

SO your saying that I can squeek more pips from my leaf? for how much?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

I doubt a Zappi would work that well with Joeboy's setup.

In summertime he needs to pump power into stuff to keep his Victron Charge Controller chugging away so a simple one with an APP and a manual variable output is the way to go.

And in Winter he will want full power in the cheapslot sucking in all that time shifted Ripple WT1 power with his shiny new 100A fuse and uprated tails. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 pm Yeah, the Scandi directness is appealing I understand, I got some straightforward replies to questions from the Gnorwaii team & "murky" response from the uk based arm of distribution.

How much with the EV discount did it work out to? (nosey)

SO your saying that I can squeek more pips from my leaf? for how much?
I paid 225 euro last year for the leafbox. Sold it yesterday for £105. It works well. After grant's we were £880 for the installation including a standalone breaker. I gave it a test run and it was pretty cool to see it ramp up to serious loads with the led strip pulsing away.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs