Hyundai Ioniq 5

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Joeboy

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:31 pm I doubt a Zappi would work that well with Joeboy's setup.

In summertime he needs to pump power into stuff to keep his Victron Charge Controller chugging away so a simple one with an APP and a manual variable output is the way to go.

And in Winter he will want full power in the cheapslot sucking in all that time shifted Ripple WT1 power with his shiny new 100A fuse and uprated tails. :twisted:
Exactly! :twisted: it's all a bit weird. After being stuck for so long, everything has suddenly clicked into place. Heck, even the victron upgrade fuses arrived today! I'm a wee bit sad as this whole journey has been a blast and I don't want it to stop.
Last edited by Joeboy on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I went for a very simple design.

I made it switchable between 6 and 32A. The plan is: In summer when the sun is shining charge the car at 6A to avoid grid spillage, reduce the amount of power going in to the batteries and therefore prevent them becoming full. In winter or in cloudy days run at 32A i the cheap period.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah, full power is "occasionally" useful for a quick turnaround ((esp the leaf)) but otherwise as we have lived with granny plugs we are fine with 2kW @10 amps, ..gentler on the battery & we'd typically dial it in according to next day need / cheap hours top up.

Likely half the concern of govt / press as to "enough power for all those ev's" is taken at the stated 7kWh max power, not a sensible throttle down (I don't listen to an amp at 11, & I know its crapping out long before then anyway, but "headlines from nothing" pays wages.

My wife would be extremely happy if we got 3 of the 7 max output as that would knock some hours off a big fill.

It's only recently that we've had the tesla option of ampage reduction, & yup, we tend to use it when time allows.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Only have experience of this unit and very limited at that. I have set a schedule for go faster window. The rest of the time when car is plugged in it will not auto Charge. Its on s/by until I Click start in the app. I also have control via app from 6A to 32A. I would like to be able to set the go faster window at 32A and the remaining time at 16A to avoid touching the grid. I think it's time only for autos. Will contact them and ask.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just checked again Gus and after grants we are £893 for the install.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Question away, let's see what comes back.

'Hi, Just had a Easee One unit installed here at the house. Very nice bit of kit. I am on a time of use tarriff and would like to set a schedule from 21.30 to 02.30 hrs where where the unit will charge at 32A. In the remaining time 02.30 to 21.30 hrs I would like the charging limit to be 16A yet still adjustable if i wish to change it. Is there a submenu I am missing where i can name the current value within the time schedule? If not can it be added as with Solar PV & TOU penalties its quite important to the smooth running of my home.
Thanks'

Also heard back from Octopus and they are changing the tails on 1st March while checking out the non talking gas meter. 100A dead ahead skipper! :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Andy

Post by Andy »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm Yeah, full power is "occasionally" useful for a quick turnaround ((esp the leaf)) but otherwise as we have lived with granny plugs we are fine with 2kW @10 amps, ..gentler on the battery & we'd typically dial it in according to next day need / cheap hours top up.
I’ve heard that efficiency of the charging drops as the power you use is reduced. I haven’t had a chance to check by how much yet.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Went into the garage and at 21.30 everything goes click and various wee lights come on.First time I've done that since going onto go faster.
New load record 18.49kW. :), that's 77A. I am staggering loads a little. Dishwasher didn't kick in until 21.45 hrs for example. Very easy to be North of 80A at this time of year. Add a washing machine, kettle and tumble dryer and I'd be hitting 102A. That's without any further storage heaters, 105A! :shock: Or the hot tub... 115A. :twisted: it's all too much for me. I'm away to bed. :lol:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Andy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:56 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm Yeah, full power is "occasionally" useful for a quick turnaround ((esp the leaf)) but otherwise as we have lived with granny plugs we are fine with 2kW @10 amps, ..gentler on the battery & we'd typically dial it in according to next day need / cheap hours top up.
I’ve heard that efficiency of the charging drops as the power you use is reduced. I haven’t had a chance to check by how much yet.
For home AC charging, Its the AC to DC converter in the vehicle which dictates the efficiency. Depends on the actual charger in the car, but in both my
Tesla Model 3 and my BMW i3, they both have an onboard 11kW charger. AC to DC converters tend to give their max efficiencies at around 50% to 75% of their max output which match favourably with a 7kW home charger.

The lowest charge rates my home chargers can be set to is either 6 or 10 amps, so about 1.4kW or 2.4kW. I suspect the efficiency will be a few percent down but does not matter if its charged via solar. The biggest inefficiency I find with my Tesla is it drains about 3 or 4 percent a day even if I don't drive it and that's without sentry mode enabled but I have just learned I can power it down but have not ever done so yet.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

3-4% per day is huge what is your Tesla doing with all that power? What would happen if it was left unused for a few weeks?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)