HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by dan_b »

Brief update on AQUIND
Yet another local protest has gone in in Portsmouth to object to the AQUIND development - but it all now hinges on Kwasi Kwarteng - he's expected to announce a go/no-go decision on 21st January.

Also on NEUConnect
A grid connection agreement has been confirmed for NEUConnect to link to the German Grid in Wilhelmshaven - North Germany. They've also almost completed the financial raise, and expect to start construction later in 2022.

Doesn't seem to be any progress on anything else.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

dan_b wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am Brief update on AQUIND
Yet another local protest has gone in in Portsmouth to object to the AQUIND development - but it all now hinges on Kwasi Kwarteng - he's expected to announce a go/no-go decision on 21st January.
Bad news I'm afraid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-60073706
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm
dan_b wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am Brief update on AQUIND
Bad news I'm afraid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-60073706
Is the problem that it has been progressed by the Trump method? ("I'm doing this, you can't stop me, and I don't care if my golf course is on what is currently a nature reserve!")

Investing in Renewables doesn't give a moneymaker a "get out of jail free" card.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

The same Victor Fedotov from the Panama Papers...

Dodgy geezer, A BBC investigation shows he secretly benefitted from the alleged $4bn fraud in Russia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58791274
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting updates, thank you
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Dirty money - Isn't that just par for the course in the UK nowadays? Don't look at who puts up the money (i.e. owns and has control of it,) just let them...
Never mind if it is the Chinese government, an Australian bank or oligarchs parking the assets they have stripped out of some failing state or oilfield. Foreign pension funds are about the most benign investors, but why can't it be home-grown?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I have no idea what sort of mess to the town the protesters were trying to highlight as part of the "NO interconnector" campaign, but likely recent UKRAINE / RUSSIA moves over last few years have even the tories on the backfoot as to national energy security, that might be allowing undesirables!? (yes really) to close into the energy sector through fiscal control, supply shut off, or hacking ..who knows.

So I doubt it was a win for the town in the way they thought, more likely throw them a small bone, just like the govt do with covid restrictions being gone to give boris the garden party-er some breathing space.

How big (comparably) are the onshore elements of the converter stations & what inherent risks do they carry?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

While on the topic of HVDC Interconnectors the article below is well worth a read.

The weekend read: Dreaming of a MENA integrated electricity grid

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/01/22/ ... city-grid/
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:07 am While on the topic of HVDC Interconnectors the article below is well worth a read.

The weekend read: Dreaming of a MENA integrated electricity grid

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/01/22/ ... city-grid/
I thought this was a great paragraph.

The structure of electricity demand is also very different between Europe and the MENA countries, with a peak of consumption generally in winter in the north and summer in the south. This is significant in that energy exchange in both directions at different times of the year will help secure electricity supply and reduce production costs by using at all times the sources of power that are often the most beneficial from an environmental point of view.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Noticed the Norway Interconnector is working at slightly over 1GW this evening, is it fully comissioned now, or is this just a test running?