Melitta thermal jug coffee maker

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mr Gus

Melitta thermal jug coffee maker

Post by Mr Gus »

Sometimes I don't fancy boiling a kettle at 5 in the morning for the wifes (nasty) instant coffee, & as the kiddo can get out the door some mornings for school at 6.15 am ..she has taken to real coffee since france in 2019.

We got rid of our hotplate coffee machine some 15 years ago (lack of use & no timer on the hotplate) as an energy monster.

As argos are doing a deal (£33.99 delivered via dpd using the "COFFEE15" code at checkout) currently we decided to give it a go, but not without reservation (due to inept bolshy CS lady) (if you are contemplating one here's the link whilst i'm moaning)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8099006 ... ook:1:33:1

It claims to keep hot a full (1.4 litre) double wall s/steel jug for a decent amount of hours less stewing too hopefully.
The unit is classed as 1000 watts (underneath 1080 watts) & depending on the flavour (drip) adjuster a full cycle is between 10 & 15 minutes before it turns off (& leaves the clock on)

Fuse fitted is 13 amps, so clearly a fast heavy draw judging by the water plastics cleaning fills.

The unit is "apparantly" an award winner from 2014 (stated on the box) for eco design.
The PP & stainless steel certainly help the recycling potential.

BUT, & this is why I rang the "help" line no info on what consumption is from a typical cycle of 1.4 litre water from a cold water pipe ..nor how much energy the clock uses on standby (it stupidly resets the clock but keeps the pre-programmed brew time) which I had to question, & realistically if it had a battery holder for a AA rechargeable to keep the clock going if needed when unplugged for storage i'd be happier, the half assed partial reset being my point to ponder though!

Turns out the uk melitta lady (wasp chewer) had bugger all concept of "standby power consumption" nor atypical cycle energy used (presumably part of what info was submitted for those design awards)!?

Worse still, the wasp chewing Melitta lady aggressively informed me that once used it as not able to be returned (which I had to challenge on basis of law & the fact it was bought via argos & could be walked back in-store easily, ..not to mention cosmetic appearance (the scratch in the s/steel which *I* may reject to counter-kick to her attitude)

BAD attitude from a non trained UK customer service person aside, (& an email to Melitta gmbh & the uk boss) a short energy output & thermal retention beyond is to be applauded, as I pointed out in the email, "a brew cycle timed during pre-surge prices of say 4.40am to provide a hot-pot at 6-7 am when energy prices may be reduced by up to a factor of 7 when brewed later & consumed at the same time point due to grid-lading is another reason to want to know a product cycles consumption, & that damned standby! ..because this is likely the fast incoming resolution to the energy industry as foretold by the coming (& complete balls up of UK govt smart meter design)

Why, how in this day & age can companies get away with missing out energy consumption & standby data for electronics beyond TV's washers, fridges etc ?

I'll pick up some ground coffee this weekend & give it a bash, but really, what point is a phone line for customer care & technical support if they have zero knowledge of product or common terminology. ..that then asks you to email your questions in FFS (flippin flowery sun-hats) !?
(yeah, argos, & ANY web site could & should do better when the page is there to decide product from, but most webmasters will draw from brand product material due to sheer bloody laziness)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Re: Melitta thermal jug coffee maker

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 am
Fuse fitted is 13 amps, so clearly a fast heavy draw judging by the water plastics cleaning fills.
Don’t take too much from the fuse rating. While other values are still allowed if there is a specific reason, it has been decided that manufacturers should stick to 3A or 13A where possible. So 13A fuse just means it is “Over 700W”.

Have you tried a plug in energy monitor?

I bought a “bean to cup” espresso machine (Delonghi Authentica) a few years back. It provides excellent and economical coffee and only heats up only while in operation.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Not yet, they are in a box behind DIY kit currently.
I'll start by taking temperature readings over time & work back though.

The 13 amp fuse was perplexing as to necessity based on the 1000w rating

The tesla granny plug has a 10 amp fuse for instance.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

OK, not from cold (a 2 pot water flush) but significant enough to give an idea of performance potential.

first water run was at 06.15 this morning, second run (already hot element) was at 6.30 a.m. (ish) & left, took reading at 3.25pm ..nigh on 9 hours later the full, undisturbed pot was nigh on cold to touch outside & 67 c when I stuck an inkbird probe in for a minute.

Not bad.

Plenty of scope for minimal priced brew with decent heat retention over time, esp if trying to catch a cheap twilight hours brew.
Next I will measure the start / dispense temp to get an idea of the temp drop.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
John_S

Post by John_S »

But, most importantly, what is the coffee like?

I my view, you cannot beat an Aeropress for ease of use and quality of the brew.
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Love my Aeropress, but wifey still hasn't figured out how to use it (after 10 years of use!)
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I drink TEA (mostly) John, my 5 am kettle boiling is for the benefit of my wife in the main.

Will get some fresh ground (well packet) coffee tomorrow & fire-er-up

TBH I didn't do much research on this product pre-buy it was the cold granite floors, unheated kitchen, thermal pot & timer function that swayed me to jump in whilst it was cheap-er than normal.

The sealing connector between machine & pot is pretty good, I thought that the brand had enough standing to give it a go.

Even now I know it's going to be me emptying "their" coffee grounds regardless of a bone china mug of tea as my wake up necessity so I'd best order some reusable filters.
We have around 6 sigg thermal 500ml flasks so it'll decant from one to the other, beyond that its their problem to clean seals etc, the Melitta does get pretty good reviews from not stewing I guess.
My last caftierre shattered with a bang some time ago, (& strength versus warmth, versus grounds was always a gamble)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

I've had a Bosch filter coffee machine now for the best part of 20 years. Same as an standard machine other than the jug is insulated and there's no hotplate.

I prewarm the jug with a cup of near boiling water from my hot tap drink thing and five minutes later make a full jug.

Lasts the day and is still warm enough to drink late afternoon.
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Gledhill 450l
Solis Mini 4G 3kW/Sharp ND210/2.94kWp
SB1600/Sharp ND220/1.76kWp
SB1600/Kinve 235/2.115kWp
Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 11kW
SoFar ME3000/Pylontech US2000/19.2kWh
Ecodan 11kW HP
MG4
Zoe R135
PVOutput
Stig

Post by Stig »

I just wrap the oven gloves round the cafetière! :D
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Pouring it from a cold tap, in a 16c cold kitchen, through the machine into a cold jug. (1400ml to capacity)

Coffee came through at 87c

Poured into a cold bone china mug it immediately shocked it down to 73c (too cool for me but eminently "on the go" drinkable)

Fridge milk 2c took it way lower.

Coffee used today was a Taylors of Harrogate italian blend, water diffuser ("aroma selector") was set halfway.

IF i'd pre-warmed the jug i'd be happier, but that isn't going to happen often with an early start on timer.
So based on a full jug & yesterdays quick temp measure, it loses around 2.2222c an hour if left untouched (unlikely)

Must admit it is nigh on instantaneous to get "pumping" so certainly shares the tech (minus the pressure) of the capsule machines to deliver a full jug within around 5 minutes.

No complaints as to the speed of delivery v flavour.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS