Window insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
nowty

Re: Window insulation

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:33 pm Thanks Stinsy, checking back on the paperwork it would appear our windows are rated A+, according to BFRC standard. Couldn't find whether this included Argon gas, although suspect not.There is an A++ rating also. Reckon we'll hold fire on replacing until one of the glazing units blows or fails otherwise. The bathroom is north facing so might be the favourite to test out initially, although it has had a Seasonal double glazing film applied(from a well known DIY store) and for a couple of years now does seem to be very effective. It's not cold to the touch and seldom gets covered in condensation!
Thanks again for a pragmatic view. Makes sense to me. :D
If it truly is A+ then its almost certain to be, Low E glass on the inside pane, argon filled and has a warm spacer around the sealed edge.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks Nowty. Guess that confirms keeping them in place until something goes unexpectedly awry.
I suspect the condensation we experience on ours is due mostly to us keeping warming air away from the inner panes by closing thermal blinds and curtains etc thus allowing the inner panes to cool to the same temps as outside.
So perhaps a minor inconvenience for the sake of energy efficiency!
It also begs the question, would triple glazing actually erradicate this?
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

We have some rooms that have both tripple glazed and double glazed windows (tripple north facing). The tripple glazed ones never appear to have condensation on the inside (but do on the outside), but the double glazed ones do get condensation on the inside when it is cold out.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Here you go! -2℃ outside, small amount of lying snow, but sun shining:

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
WannabeFossilFree

Post by WannabeFossilFree »

I have some old quite large UPVC DG windows in my house of unknown age... no kite marks, might be 25 years old?
Any recommendations for suppliers of Triple glazing replacements?

The DG units themselves are fine but couple of bits of the hardware are showing their age and some of the epdm gasket seals etc are starting to crack and leak. I don't think there's much to be gained from improving these units though I do like the idea of Gareth's Gecko windows.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

If you're going uPVC then a-rated double is a better choice. The uPVC frames leak so much that the glass is no-longer the problem. I knew that when I ordered my uPVC triple but I did it anyway!

Hardwood frames have made a comeback. Largely amongst people too young to remember how much of a PITA wooden frames were before uPVC came along. But they offer better insulation than uPVC.

The best choice is probably "Thermally broken aluminium". The frames are very well insulated so triple is worthwhile, they look fantastic, and they're really sturdy. But they are more than a bit expensive!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

LOL, in true 'double glazing salesman' fashion I should start to harp on about the horrendous return on embedded carbon in any replacements you buy (albeit with some justification I think), meaning you should clearly plump for our product instead.

Slightly more seriously, we just installed some on existing double glazing that was suffering badly from condensation, with surprisingly good results. As we'll all know here, the reduction in U-value from a Gecko pane is much less if installed on DG vs. single glazing (IIRC around 30% vs. around 50% for single glazing). Anyway it seemed to cure the condensation problem. I suggested to the homeowner that he probably still needs to do something about sources of humidity, and ventilation, if he's getting that much condensation on DG.

Anyway, if anyone here would like to trial panes, let me know. I'll see if I can do at cost or better in return for the feedback. Although I might struggle to get out the door. Business is going really well. To the extent I'm struggling to keep on top of enquiries and orders. Main issue is my supply chain though. Once I've got that sorted life will be much easier.
WannabeFossilFree

Post by WannabeFossilFree »

I've no particular love for PVC, it's just what is in there ATM. Part of the house was extended and that has softwood DG (much newer and in much better shape).

I was looking at some Alu-clad ones from green building store which sound more or less exactly as you describe. There's a composite hardwood core with aluminium facing. They look quite premium, have to see if the budget has enough elasticity.
nowty

Post by nowty »

My triple glazed windows have finally arrived with the latest Pilkington K glass, warm super spacers and argon filled. :mrgreen:

Busy days ahead. :?

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:31 pm My triple glazed windows have finally arrived with the latest Pilkington K glass, warm super spacers and argon filled. :mrgreen:

Busy days ahead. :?

Outstanding! Fitting yourself ot with the help?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees