New Triple Glazed Windows at Nowty Towers

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
nowty

Re: New Triple Glazed Windows at Nowty Towers

Post by nowty »

Oliver90owner wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:02 pm A good job nearly completed, but I’m surprised you started with one needing working from ladders. Is there not an easier one on the ground floor, to be ‘practising’ on?

How much are you expecting savings to be over the old ones?

My double glazing is all well over 30 years old and likely soon due for replacement. Front and back have been triple glazed for the duration (previously fitted to the single glazed originals. I reckon they have easily paid for themselves by the much-reduced re-decoration costs (over the original softwood windows), let alone the double glazing gains.
So there is an easier one for the ground floor. Its actually larger but has multiple panes so each glass unit is much smaller. I thought about doing that one first but its on an unheated spare bedroom and I wanted instant results, so it had to be the difficult one first.

Having a rest today but the bathroom one will be done tomorrow.

I am not expecting much savings but anything I can do to help the house heat on only heatpump is welcome, gas boiler still switched off. As I pass the difficult window each time I climb and descend the stairs I get an automatic little smile. I suspect that may pass in time.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

The window being at the top of the stairs will make a big difference. Previously the cold air would have come tumbling down the stairs. Eradicating that source of a cold draught will make the house much more comfortable even if it doesn’t make much difference to the temperature.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

I did not get round to the bathroom window yesterday but need to get it done before the big freeze on Thursday.

This windows has its own fitting issues with the windowsill going into the ridge tiles on kitchen roof, loose cement underneath and a wood / plastic board above. But in comparison with the first one this is a breeze, everything is much lighter !

Definitely a one man job, just taking a rest before the next step. :D

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Looking good, I hope you have decent boots on for up there?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Its in, well just held in by friction at the moment. :lol:

Having a rest as whilst what it lacked in weight, it gave me loads of technical grief.

Loose cement on the bottom, loads of high points and nails on the sides which had to be cut or chiselled off. Loads of holes to refill and a bit of ridge tile which had to be angle ground for the windowsill to fit.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 pm Its in, well just held in by friction at the moment. :lol:

Having a rest as whilst what it lacked in weight, it gave me loads of technical grief.

Loose cement on the bottom, loads of high points and nails on the sides which had to be cut or chiselled off. Loads of holes to refill and a bit of ridge tile which had to be angle ground for the windowsill to fit.

Nowty, canni ask what the depth of the window frame is outer face to inner face? They look great! 👍
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 pm Nowty, canni ask what the depth of the window frame is outer face to inner face? They look great! 👍
70mm Frames and the triple glazed units are 40mm.

Glass units are 4mm / 14mm/ 4mm / 14mm / 4mm

Pilkington K Glass™ S, Warm Superspacers, Argon filled, U of 0.96

https://www.burbagecustomwindows.co.uk

I ordered from here (its the same company for self design and supply only).
https://www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk/

Family run business, they use there own delivery drivers, online tracking to the door on day of delivery.
I've had 3 orders from them over the years, no problems.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Nearly had a disaster, :?

Had to remove and replace the new window frame because some building felt was trapped on the inside of the frame. I lent it upright against the main wall on the other slope of the kitchen extension as I had done before but I inadvertently dislodged it and had to watch it slide down towards the conservatory which I built 10 years ago. Hell of a design with a welded up aluminium box gutter.

The bottom edge of the window frame impacted the large glass roof pane (the the left in the photo), I was convinced it would shatter. But it bounced and then even worse it fell the other way across the two struts and I was convinced the whole roof would go.

But it didn't, so drama over, apart from having to tread carefully to retrieve the frame. :D

Now its in for good, all screwed up, still the glass to do but no rush as I've turned the radiator off and closed the bathroom door. I'm going to remove my tools and let SWMBO do a clean up first because I cant believe the mess I have made in there.

I took this picture because once the obscured glass goes in, I wont have that view anymore.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Does it need to open?

I'd have been tempted to have a single-pane non-opening window in there.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 pm Nearly had a disaster, :?

Had to remove and replace the new window frame because some building felt was trapped on the inside of the frame. I lent it upright against the main wall on the other slope of the kitchen extension as I had done before but I inadvertently dislodged it and had to watch it slide down towards the conservatory which I built 10 years ago. Hell of a design with a welded up aluminium box gutter.

The bottom edge of the window frame impacted the large glass roof pane (the the left in the photo), I was convinced it would shatter. But it bounced and then even worse it fell the other way across the two struts and I was convinced the whole roof would go.

But it didn't, so drama over, apart from having to tread carefully to retrieve the frame. :D

Now its in for good, all screwed up, still the glass to do but no rush as I've turned the radiator off and closed the bathroom door. I'm going to remove my tools and let SWMBO do a clean up first because I cant believe the mess I have made in there.

I took this picture because once the obscured glass goes in, I wont have that view anymore.
Glad to read that you are OK. Got a bit of PV there eh? :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs