Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Stinsy

Re: Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Post by Stinsy »

So you’re only averaging 43.5A. Plenty of room for more!

A Zappi would be a great way to even out the peaks!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:41 am So you’re only averaging 43.5A. Plenty of room for more!

A Zappi would be a great way to even out the peaks!
Good point, In addition I have on good Agile neg windows went nuts with about 5kW of heating running alongside all that is currently on in the evening so there is headroom on the fuse over and above the now. I should be hearing back from SSE soon on the upgrade cost to 100A but it looks as if I won't need it.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

60A is only a problem if you’re not levelling out intermittent loads such as the heating element in your dishwasher/washing machine.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Struggling with the cold weather here in the South today. The heatpump has been on since 3am in the morning and has only just reached our toasty thermostat setting. We also lost the sun before midday, battery down to below 50% and SWMBO threatening multiple washing loads tomorrow. :?

I could do with some extra cheap slots from the Octopus tonight or else it might be the choice between peak rate or gas tomorrow. :evil:

Hmmmmm, two measly half hour extra slots and a pain in the ass to change all the inverter settings, I don't like that plan. But if we tell the Octopus we want 100% by 4am and set the Tesla App to stop at 85%, I wonder.

Oh baby, cheap rate from 9pm all the way till 5:30am (cos the fixed bit goes to 5:30am anyway), we'll bank that !. :twisted:

Don't worry pussy, storage heater boost coming early tonight. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Early cheap slot at 9 pm,

Quick change on the SMA Sunny Portal website, BUT don't forget to change back tomorrow ! :roll:

Add washing machine and dishwasher on to take the edge off tomorrows consumption and BOOM on the latest Nowty Towers grid meter. :twisted:

Pussy is happy. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 pm Early cheap slot at 9 pm,

Quick change on the SMA Sunny Portal website, BUT don't forget to change back tomorrow ! :roll:

Add washing machine and dishwasher on to take the edge off tomorrows consumption and BOOM on the latest Nowty Towers grid meter. :twisted:

Pussy is happy. :mrgreen:
Liking the positioning of the cat! I'll be having a look at 'Intelligent Octopus' once the I5 is on the drive. I find the idea of time shifting power use to flatten the demand on the grid to be a largely unmined resource? It can easily swing from 45GW thru the day to 25GW at night? Does anyone know the response times for the varied utilities to spool up and down and does the excess just get dumped into the interconnects and flogged to Europe on the cheap?
I've always enjoyed finding the balance point in anything I do and find the idea of shifting electrons on the scale of 'The Grid' to be fascinating. :oops:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I like the fact Intelligent Octopus still has a 5p cheap period while Go is now 7.5p!

Really can’t sniff at 8.5 consecutive hours of cheap period either. Worth organising the car at to be at 20% battery on the coldest evenings!

I think the tariff only works with Tesla’s for now. There was a charging point on the “works with” list but now that has moved to “coming soon”.

Importantly for me, VW is listed as “coming soon”.

Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I’ve been reading this with interest- so much so I had a look at the octopus web site at agile which supposedly benefits people able to load shift and went to the third party historic and current price info that they signpost you to.

I like the concept but looking at Merseyside and North Wales figures today the price seems to be more or less constant at 35p per kWh dipping to a low of 31p for a half hour ? Makes my 23p/kWh look darn right cheap! And no better looking back over the year and last years figures too.

What am I missing ? I assume you need an EV to sign up for go or intelligent?

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 pm I’ve been reading this with interest- so much so I had a look at the octopus web site at agile which supposedly benefits people able to load shift and went to the third party historic and current price info that they signpost you to.

I like the concept but looking at Merseyside and North Wales figures today the price seems to be more or less constant at 35p per kWh dipping to a low of 31p for a half hour ? Makes my 23p/kWh look darn right cheap! And no better looking back over the year and last years figures too.

What am I missing ? I assume you need an EV to sign up for go or intelligent?

Moxi
You’re looking at the “Agile” tariff. That varies based on wholesale markets with a different price for every half hour slot. It used to be expensive 4-8pm cheap the rest of the time and free/negative on rare occasions. However Agile has been horrific during the “energy crisis” holding strong at the 35p max for the majority of the time, dipping only slightly, for brief periods.

The “Go” tariff has been much better (4hrs at 5p, the rest at 15p). Even before the “crisis” Go was cheaper than “Agile” most of the time, particularly for people who used electricity between 4-8pm. Octopus gave since increased prices to 7.5/30p.

The new “Intelligent” tariff gives 5hrs of guaranteed 5p/kWh plus extra 30-min cheap slots if you need them to charge your BEV. So if you have your BEV running on empty and you tell the app you need it full-to-the-brim very early the next day you’ll get additional cheap slots you can use for anything (eg space heating, battery charging, etc.) .

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:55 am I like the fact Intelligent Octopus still has a 5p cheap period while Go is now 7.5p!

Really can’t sniff at 8.5 consecutive hours of cheap period either. Worth organising the car at to be at 20% battery on the coldest evenings!

I think the tariff only works with Tesla’s for now. There was a charging point on the “works with” list but now that has moved to “coming soon”.

Importantly for me, VW is listed as “coming soon”.
I was offered the Intelligent tariff and as you know, no Tesla. :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs