Corner turned

Joeboy

Re: Corner turned

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:10 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:06 pm
Fintray wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:02 pm

That's just it I don't think many of us would have thought about the positioning of our houses regarding future RE suitability as when I bought mine, home PV more or less didn't exist or was prohibitively expensive. If building a new house that would be a different matter.
Absolutely, there's a wee bit of me that wishes we were in the bang on location but I am more than happy to do the strategic thinking to compensate for the poor Winter solar. Always enjoyed the challenge! You've done well, lovely location.
If I were ever to buy another house a big, rectangular, south-facing roof would be a "must have". Unfortunately it wasn't a consideration when we bought this house.

I see a lot of perfect, unadorned roofs. My next-door neighbour being a perfect example. He'd get 8kWp up there easily and cheaply.
Funny how our priorities change as we grow.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

And yet we still do well with whatever we have to work with-as Joeboy says we make the best of our particular situations and I think we are all getting very good at that.

Last two days we got 0.85 and 0.75kWh and today although it felt the same level of grey overcast light we got 1.25kWh so on the whole I’m happy with that.

I’m certainly learning to think outside the normal and maximise what’s around me better thanks to support from you all.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Well a very surprising day today, woke to heavy overcast skies, as the morning progressed it started to rain and looked like being another 800W day but then at 12 noon the clouds swept away and out came the sun. Dusk finally came at approximately 5pm and a tasty 4.2kWh on the board best single day so far this year and because I had sorted out other chores in the morning I was able to go outside in the gusty 30mph ish winds to start my frame:

Moxi

Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Good work!

Liking the Unistrut! Astonishingly expensive for what it is, and complex to order the correct doohickeys, but very rewarding to work with.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Looks brill, how many cuts have you got on your hands ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yes it’s big boys mecano for sure and it was all knocked up including cutting today.

Hoping to get the rest done tomorrow but we have soft play for the lads in the morning so fingers crossed the weather is kind.

Sorry about the order of the photos I haven’t figured out how to up load them in a specific order.

Caster wheels to go on then the two panels and wiring.

At the back off my mind I’m working on a pair of hinged wings each side to add two more panels ?

But I’m keeping that idea away from the boss for the time being until she sees the benefit from the first phase.

Also had a quote back from a solar fitter for the roof with the helix in it but they’ve not quoted for in roof nor have they priced for the hydbrid inverter or batteries that I asked for either so I will have to ask them to redress their quote.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Nowty I am pleased to say not one cut but embarrassed at the same time as I really should have worn gloves but like a twit I just got on with it :roll:

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Nice pics moxi.

May I trouble you for cost for that little lot? (the metalwork I mean)
maybe sell kits on ebay too ;)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Mr Gus,

Of course not all up there’s £230 of kit BUT I bought bulk fittings as I plan other unistrut stuff in the year eg the parents lpg regulator change over unit needs a new support structure amongst other jobs.

So off the top of my head I would say the channel was a hundred the brackets around fifteen and the bolts washers and channel nuts a fiver.

I’ve got eight 45s left forty eight 90s forty four straights and the balance of a hundred m20 nuts washers and bolts and sprung channel nuts.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Sorry should have said total length of strut was 16m all heavy gauge 41mm hdg and slotted. The plain channel is cheaper as is the lighter guage and the 21mm strut. But up here it gets windy ( above 40mph) often so I wanted the weight and sectional area to resist torsional loads etc.

Moxi