Corner turned

Stinsy

Re: Corner turned

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:41 pm Hi Stinsey,

The panels I have with predrilled mounting holes come up close to the 45 bracket at the top of the strut so a T would have pushed the panels down by the Distance of the T - about 50mm I think ? Or I would have needed to cut the hypotenuse, adjacent and opposite limbs of strut longer to accommodate. Considering the weight of the panels the self weight of the struts and the thickness of the straight plate there enough cross section in the straight plate connection for transmission of any loads.

The gas bottles were located there when we bought the place and the large bulk cylinder that used to be mounted on a plinth opposite is now where the parents two cylinders live. Not ideal but there’s no garden to move them to other than across the road. We maintain one cylinder isolated and go out and swing the valves manually when the gas goes off so as to minimise risk.

Mr Gus there used to be a really good bit of free unistrut software that allowed you to design your job and it even gave you a parts list to pick from as well.

Moxi
Hi,

Not sure I explained myself very well!

It is these I was talking about:

Could instead have been these:

I get that the top horizontal connecting the two hypotenuses could have impinged on the 45° but the lower horizontal connecting the two hypotenuses and the bottom horizontal piece...

Just being nit-picky, wondered if there was a reason. I'm sure it is already very over engineered. I'm interested to see pictures showing how the panels are attached to the strut...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

I keep propane bottles a long way away from the house.
They have got to be at least 1 metre away from a flue terminal.
No opening into buildings, cellars or pits should be within 2m of an LPG storage area.

Having worked at the the largest fractionation plant in the world. I can remember bad days where you could see things going wrong from 20 miles away.
The LPG Terminal for loading boats was a pier 10km ( 6.21371 miles off shore. )
Based on the assumption if the ship has a bad day the gas plant will survive.
Far more respect is required for propane than natural gas and oil.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:28 pm I keep propane bottles a long way away from the house.
They have got to be at least 1 metre away from a flue terminal.
No opening into buildings, cellars or pits should be within 2m of an LPG storage area.

Having worked at the the largest fractionation plant in the world. I can remember bad days where you could see things going wrong from 20 miles away.
The LPG Terminal for loading boats was a pier 10km ( 6.21371 miles off shore. )
Based on the assumption if the ship has a bad day the gas plant will survive.
Far more respect is required for propane than natural gas and oil.
And the much-promoted hydrogen is infinitely worse than either propane or CNG!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Hydrogen Cyanide is a good one.
Was on a training course to go on a site.
The last words the instructor said after the course was.
If you ever see Blue ice. Your Dead.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 pm And the much-promoted hydrogen is infinitely worse than either propane or CNG!
Having escaped a hydrogen explosion as an apprentice, I second that. I was sitting on the very vessel which went bang only a few hours later. :shock:

Difficult to stop leaks, has a very wide range of explosive concentrations in air and lower ignition energy required than other flammable gases.

In my case the ignition theory was static charge build up in moving fluidised powder in an enclosed process.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Sorry I wrote a reply ages ago and thought I had sent it ?

The T’s are around fifteen quid a pop so having bulk bought straights and there being an excess of strength already built in I opted for the cheaper job. The panels are joined to the slotted Chanel with M8 coach bolts washers and nuts using the panels pre cut mounting holes.

I hear what’s being said about the propane but there’s no drains vents or cellars within reach of the bottles and if leaking they would naturally drain toward the lane as the ground slopes away from the bottles in that direction. However given our altitude and aspect I doubt the air would ever normally be still enough to allow an explosive mixture to accumulate adjacent to the house but as I say I change the regulator every six years and the pig tails every two years to ensure as far as reasonably practical that leaks don’t occur.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:34 pm The T’s are around fifteen quid a pop so having bulk bought straights and there being an excess of strength already built in I opted for the cheaper job.
How much!

I bought from Direct Channel Support Systems Ltd at 51p per flat tee for the HDG ones.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Same company I use Fintray but I didn't want 50+ T's (56p unit price) and if you go singles the price is ludicrous ! So i went for straights in bulk (33p unit price) as they are arguably more usable in more applications - all comes down to personal preferences and circumstances i guess.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:32 pm Same company I use Fintray but I didn't want 50+ T's (56p unit price) and if you go singles the price is ludicrous ! So i went for straights in bulk (33p unit price) as they are arguably more usable in more applications - all comes down to personal preferences and circumstances i guess.

Moxi
WTF!

Ok, these were bought in June last year so possibly the difference in price per unit but I only bought 12.

Was at a scrapyard last week and they had some boxes of stainless steel ones plus loads of other fittings, didn't ask the price as don't need them (at the moment!).
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

The price of Steel has gone through the roof recently so I am not surprised the price is up - i enjoyed the build process and mecano feel of the unistrut so I will keep my eyes open for bargain items and build up a store of bits for future projects. I know that Direct Channel do a Friday special deals page so thats always a good stalking date.

CEF also stock and occasionally have clearance items.

What I am looking out for more than anything at the minute is some more channel either slotted or plain 41mm and 21mm then I can do some other projects that now seem much easier to achieve than previously.

I will have to break out the DC welder at some point and get my hand and eye coordination back on the game to do some fabrication work too.

Moxi