Solar diverter that plays nice with battery storage?

Val33

Solar diverter that plays nice with battery storage?

Post by Val33 »

New member here.

I have 6.5kw of solar and a Lux AC inverter connected to a stack of eight Pylontech batteries. I'm considering adding a solar diverter to catch the excess over 3.5kw that the Lux can't use in the peak months.

Which of the cheaper units work nicely with battery storage? I really don't want to be heating the hot water from the batteries!

Thanks
Stinsy

Re: Solar diverter that plays nice with battery storage?

Post by Stinsy »

The easiest way to achieve this is to set the diverter to keep export at 100W (or something similar). That way the inverter and diverter don't fight each-other because the inverter tries to export zero right up to it's max charge rate.

I know the Solic doesn't have this feature and the immersun does have this feature. However I'd recommend an Eddi because not only does it have the feature but it is compatible with the Zappi BEV charging point so you can use your solar to charge a BEV from available solar if one is connected while the sun is shining.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Val33

Post by Val33 »

Is the Immersion a setting or fixed in the design? I've read through the manual and I can see no mention of it.

The Eddie would be overkill for me. I have an EV but only granny charge on Octopus Go cheap rate. The house uses around 25Kwh a day so usually the only spare is what's left after the Lux.
Last edited by Val33 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

It is in the "advanced settings" section of the manual IIRC...

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Here you go, page 12, "Minimum Export":

Val33

Post by Val33 »

Scrub that, I just realised that I was looking at 'Solarimmersion' not 'Immersun', naughty naming! The Immersun seems crazy expensive compared to the Solic or Solarimmersion units.
Val33

Post by Val33 »

Thanks, yes I found it now. But both that and the Eddie seem way over priced for what is needed.
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

I have an Eddi now - the original Immersun went bang before I got my batteries - and I do exactly as commented above i.e. set the minimum export and even if the Eddi kicks in first after a transient house load, the battery inverter will then kick in because it sees that export and will take it, the result of which is that it'll take all it can and only then any surplus will go to the Eddi.

Works fine with my ME3000.
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Gledhill 450l
Solis Mini 4G 3kW/Sharp ND210/2.94kWp
SB1600/Sharp ND220/1.76kWp
SB1600/Kinve 235/2.115kWp
Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 11kW
SoFar ME3000/Pylontech US2000/19.2kWh
Ecodan 11kW HP
MG4
Zoe R135
PVOutput
Stan

Post by Stan »

My Solic 200 has been installed for 4 months and I am delighted with it. It is supposed to prevent every Watt of export until the immersion reaches set temperature. So the power which I used to give away to the grid now heats my tank and that is really valuable in winter. There have been no issues and I cannot yet see why the battery should be one.

nowty

Post by nowty »

Stan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:30 pm My Solic 200 has been installed for 4 months and I am delighted with it. It is supposed to prevent every Watt of export until the immersion reaches set temperature. So the power which I used to give away to the grid now heats my tank and that is really valuable in winter. There have been no issues and I cannot yet see why the battery should be one.
If the Solic takes every exported watt and transfers it to the hot water then that will be a problem for people with batteries as people with batteries generally want the battery full before diverting any heat to a hot water tank.

That is why some of us with Immersun's or Eddie's set a min export so the battery charger and the diverter to hot water can work in harmony. Otherwise they fight with each other until one wins or the whole system becomes unstable.

If there is a minimum export set, then the battery charger sees that as excess generated power and takes it, if there is still more excess power the diverter tries to keep the export to a set level until the battery charger has taken all the excess power. Once the batteries are full, the battery charger stops taking the excess power and the excess power will be available to the diverter for heating the hot water.

Sometimes a cheap and chearful diverter will work if its slower acting than the battery inverter.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3