Corner turned

Stinsy

Re: Corner turned

Post by Stinsy »

Great day yesterday. Best day of the year so far and broke 10kWh with a solid 10.5kWh. Saw a momentary 4249W which is a YTD record too. The 2nd array put in its best ever performance generating 2.1kWh with 835W showing momentarily (both records). The 2nd array only went in mid-October so lots of scope to improve those figures.

Battery only got down to 46%. I Would have turned on the electric heaters to use a bit of battery and save some gas before the cheap period started if I’d thought…

Feels like the corner has genuinely turned!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:23 am Great day yesterday. Best day of the year so far and broke 10kWh with a solid 10.5kWh. Saw a momentary 4249W which is a YTD record too. The 2nd array put in its best ever performance generating 2.1kWh with 835W showing momentarily (both records). The 2nd array only went in mid-October so lots of scope to improve those figures.

Battery only got down to 46%. I Would have turned on the electric heaters to use a bit of battery and save some gas before the cheap period started if I’d thought…

Feels like the corner has genuinely turned!
Excellent, it's a great place to be, loving that 835W part!! We are seeing a steady 2.7kW coming in. Had a nice moment earlier this morn, EV plugged in charging, at 2.8kW washing machine just finishing and I flicked the kettle on to take the temp up to boil from the part heated WS kettle. All from the batteries and incoming PV. Now I'm splitting logs and the batteries are building again. Almost 'Zen and the Art of life maintenance'. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Probably going to be a record day here at Nowty Towers for 2022, nearly 7kW of solar coming in with almost wall to wall sunshine, battery bank full, hot water full, house toasty with storage heaters so having to dump 5kW into the EV.

Already 20kWh's yield at 12:30.

Getting to the time of year when I start dropping down the night time import and within another month will be practically self sufficient again.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I turned my go charge period off this morning. Only put 7kWh in last night but didn't really need to. Wasn't wasted as if the batteries are full the house is toasty warm instead.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

8.5kWh here today absolutely stunning day.

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:34 pm Probably going to be a record day here at Nowty Towers for 2022, nearly 7kW of solar coming in with almost wall to wall sunshine, battery bank full, hot water full, house toasty with storage heaters so having to dump 5kW into the EV.

Already 20kWh's yield at 12:30.

Getting to the time of year when I start dropping down the night time import and within another month will be practically self sufficient again.

Hiya, is that a 5kW charger, or have you set the Amps to 20A instead of 32A?

Wifey has had to temporarily move in with her mum whilst her dad is in hospital, so has been using the granny charger, but the nearest socket requires an extension lead, which really concerned me, but I got her to set the car to use 5A instead of 10A, and none of the plugs, sockets nor cables got hot, even over an 18hr period, so a great feature.

Also, last year we did almost all of the charging for 6 months from PV using the granny charger, but a lot of the time the 2.2kW draw would import when the sun varied (no batts here), so this year it should be easier on those marginal days to stick with PV only.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Mart, we use the granny plug on a 13 amp extension
It should run 2kwh @ 10 amps & pulls just fine typically.

The tesla charger plug is rated to 10 amps. (buy some in on amazon, they are obviously not that mainstream)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:43 pm Hiya, is that a 5kW charger, or have you set the Amps to 20A instead of 32A?

Wifey has had to temporarily move in with her mum whilst her dad is in hospital, so has been using the granny charger, but the nearest socket requires an extension lead, which really concerned me, but I got her to set the car to use 5A instead of 10A, and none of the plugs, sockets nor cables got hot, even over an 18hr period, so a great feature.

Also, last year we did almost all of the charging for 6 months from PV using the granny charger, but a lot of the time the 2.2kW draw would import when the sun varied (no batts here), so this year it should be easier on those marginal days to stick with PV only.
Its a 32A charger but you can set it to almost any setting between 4A and 32A and can change it in real time via an phone App too.

I was pulling in 6.7kW on the solar, but the heatpump was on at just under 2kW, so 5kW was all I could spare for the EV. As the afternoon went on I reduced it periodically.

As you say you can also limit it via the App for the Tesla too so you don't even need a fancy charger. As I have such a large home battery I don't have any problem with the odd cloud blocking out the sun for a minute or two.

Ended the day here with a solar yield of just over 35kWh, a new record for 2022 and in Feb !. :D
Last edited by nowty on Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Inskip75

Post by Inskip75 »

Best day by far today 10.2kWh!
5.6kW PV
0.8kW WT1 and 1.2kW WT2
9.6kWh batteries
3.5kW+2.5kW ASHP
Zappi
Seat Mii Electric
Mart

Post by Mart »

Cheers Nowty, that's really cool. Have to say I was really pleased when Tesla did their OTA (over the air update) magic and made the charging Amps variable.

My turning point for the year, is that I can now run a second A/C unit to heat the living room via the conservatory. My PV being E/W is poor at this time of the year, but now enough gen to run both HP's, but only when the sun has already warmed the conservatory, as I don't want to waste PV gen heating the planet, so wait till it reaches 18C+, then heat on, door opened, and living room warmed.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.