EV Charge INSIDE House for Battery

Landlord

EV Charge INSIDE House for Battery

Post by Landlord »

Humour me..............

Assuming you can get on the Octopus Go Tariff (Electric Vehicle V5 needed) or a similar low cost night tariff.

Is it possible to connect a Car Charging lead to charge a Battery Storage system and then plug the charging end into a Charging Point installed inside the house?

I believe you need a networked/sim carded charging point so it charges the battery at the lowest price available in order to fully charge so its ready by a certain time (ie when you are ready to drive the "car")

And how quickly can a single phase house supply charge a 50kWh Battery?

Thoughts?
dan_b

Re: EV Charge INSIDE House for Battery

Post by dan_b »

A smart EV charger like Zappi will let you schedule charging to when electrcity is cheapest - I think it can even work with dynamic tariffs like Octopus Agile.

A regular single phase domestic EV charger will give you 7kW. So your 50kWh battery would take 7 hours to charge from 0-100%.

I don't think I've seen a domestic battery that has a 7kW AC Type 2 feed into its inverter. But I guess it would be possible.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

Landlord, I think dan_b mis-understood your question, well partly.

If you have an EV registered at the property and you apply for "Go" or "Go Faster" EV charging tariffs there is no need whatsoever to install a car charging point. You just use the leccy in the same way as if you had an old Economy 7 tariff. So just install whatever home battery system you like.

But you cannot have the "Octopus intelligent" tariff as I have got (6hr cheapslot) as they need to connect to your car via WiFi and you need to do a certain minimum amounts of charging via the Octopus App for that.

If you notice my sig, I have a 50kWh home battery and I can put up to 9kW into it, 6kW via an SMA Sunny Island (battery inverter) and 3kW using a Sofar ME3000SP (another battery inverter but used as supplementary battery charger). And I am on single phase. So 5 hour's on Go Faster could give me 45kWh of charging in one night of cheapslot charging.
Last edited by nowty on Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Landlord

Post by Landlord »

Thank You Both - good responses that covered it I think.

The issue I have is I only do 2,000 miles a year so can't see the point in buying an EV.

So, if i MUST buy one, it would be the cheapest electric rust bucket I could buy just to get the V5 document just to get on the Tariff - which is frustrating lol

Can't see why they haven't adapted to simply allow overnight tariff to charge house battery set-up - surely it's the same result - spreading out the pressure on the grid.
nowty

Post by nowty »

I read on a octopus Go forum that although they ask you if you have an EV, they are not actually (yet) asking for actual evidence so you might be able to bluff. And I think they have back tracked on kicking folk off the tariff at end of contract time, if they joined when an EV was not a requirement.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Landlord wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:17 pm Can't see why they haven't adapted to simply allow overnight tariff to charge house battery set-up - surely it's the same result - spreading out the pressure on the grid.
Cos they can stiff you on a E7 tariff, cheap rate 20p, top rate 30p+.

I guess their main reasoning is they would like to exclude folk with home battery systems cos they can avoid some / most / all of the peak rate charges. If you only have an EV without a home battery system you will still be paying quite a lot on peak rate from the rest of your house.

Customers like me must be a nightmare for them. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Landlord

Post by Landlord »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:27 pm
Landlord wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:17 pm Can't see why they haven't adapted to simply allow overnight tariff to charge house battery set-up - surely it's the same result - spreading out the pressure on the grid.
Cos they can stiff you on a E7 tariff, cheap rate 20p, top rate 30p+.
But that's it - why would they bother giving an EV tariff if they simply wanted to "stiff" everyone.

They certainly don't need to get down to 7.5p do they as 20p would be good in the current climate.

I guess EV is just a good PR stunt for them to be seen doing their bit - yet we could have thousands more using a home battery setup on Go - so much so that the number of homes using that 4pm to 8pm peak usage time slot could probably be halved.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

I might have old info but I believe at least for the SEG it's down to the individual supplier if they will pay you for "brown" energy like this.

So essentially SEG allows it, when it's co-located with a SEG installation, but do they not mandate that you have to be paid for it by your supplier and it would require separate metering for REGOs.