Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:46 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:07 am If the return on Kirkhill is anywhere near the return on Graig Fatha there will be more than enough to pay back the interest and loan. I've never seen power prices cut to consumers, always an upward trend. In this case, that's good news.

IF GF generation model is accurate and per kWh settles at 9.64p per, we will see a 14.9% return pa excl set up fees this year alone. That's a decent indicator.
not if it trundles on at this level of output we won't
Double bump.
Last edited by Joeboy on Sat May 07, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:07 am If the return on Kirkhill is anywhere near the return on Graig Fatha there will be more than enough to pay back the interest and loan. I've never seen power prices cut to consumers, always an upward trend. In this case, that's good news.

IF GF generation model is accurate and per kWh settles at 9.64p per, we will see a 14.9% return pa excl set up fees this year alone. That's a decent indicator.
I am up about 1MWh generation (slight fudging there), yesterday was a nice 24kWh day. I am predicted to make 7MWh pa. 1MWh in under 2 months in the 'off season' is pretty good. At fill tilt I will make 62kWh per day. I need 112 days pa when it's blowing a hoolie in South Wales to reach the estimate. At Casa de inglis confidence is high! In fact, so much so that I think they will have undershot on the estimates by quite a bit. :D going to qualify 'quite a bit' at 7%

So I predict my 6,972kWh estimate is at 7,460kWh by 15th March 23. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 am

Double bump.
Looking at my figures to the end of March I have had 0.122 of my predicted output in 0.129 of the year, so maybe it's not so far off. I had expected some equinoctial gales, but maybe they are reserved for the autumn!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:03 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 am
Double bump.
Looking at my figures to the end of March I have had 0.122 of my predicted output in 0.129 of the year, so maybe it's not so far off. I had expected some equinoctial gales, but maybe they are reserved for the autumn!
A
I try and imagine South Wales Nov to Feb weather, that's the 120 days, all the rest is bonus! I hope with the retapping a few weeks ago that we are beyond dno curtailment. If so its only mech breakdown etc and that part n parcel of a WT.

I genuinely can see myself wishing there was more POWER potential in Winter. It will be bouncing on the limiter every day! :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I added a Turnberry marker to my weather app so I can keep an on/off eye on Kirkhill near location for comparison. I don't think it will disappoint!

Beginning to ramp up properly tomorrow early hours and up to 23mph by Monday afternoon.

Graig fatha has an insipid ramp up in the same timeframe and peaks at 13mph on Monday afternoon.

I'm glad I bought into GF then once more and then onwards to Kirkhill and then twice more. :D :twisted: 8 turbines, ya dancer!
Last edited by Joeboy on Sat May 07, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I have also just turned the first 1 MWh in less than 2 months of WT1 operation and the nowty sig has been updated.

I recall telling a work colleague just over 10 years back that I had just generated my first 1 MWh with the Solar PV after having my first 4kW system for 5 months but it was over the winter period. I worked out at the time that I might make 100 MWh on my first 4kw system by the end of the FIT contract in 25 years. But with my extra PV I am already at 80 MWh in a little over 10 years.

In 15 years time when my first FIT contract ends I have now calculated I might generate a total combined 250+ MWh. :twisted:

Maybe with help from other future Coop type memberships, a lifetime ambition target to aim for might be to generation 1GWh. :shock:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:26 pm I have also just turned the first 1 MWh in less than 2 months of WT1 operation and the nowty sig has been updated.

I recall telling a work colleague just over 10 years back that I had just generated my first 1 MWh with the Solar PV after having my first 4kW system for 5 months but it was over the winter period. I worked out at the time that I might make 100 MWh on my first 4kw system by the end of the FIT contract in 25 years. But with my extra PV I am already at 80 MWh in a little over 10 years.

In 15 years time when my first FIT contract ends I have now calculated I might generate a total combined 250+ MWh. :twisted:

Maybe with help from other future Coop type memberships, a lifetime ambition target to aim for might be to generation 1GWh. :shock:
1 GWh of self generated power would be immense. I am about 18MWh so far across my personal collection. It hit me again this morning how truly magical and groovy wind derived energy actually is. Huge fan! (Did you see what I did there)? :lol:

The idea of Virtual Battery for Winter just gives it a sci-fi twist.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

1 GWh of self generated power would be immense. I am about 18MWh so far across my personal collection. It hit me again this morning how truly magical and groovy wind derived energy actually is. Huge fan! (Did you see what I did there)? :lol:

The idea of Virtual Battery for Winter just gives it a sci-fi twist.
:D Nice one guys. Amazing totals and impacts all around.
Just checking our bi monthly wind output, a tad over half a MWh's, so well behind Nowty's impressive figure. Other than attempting to reduce our reliance on the Grid as much as possible within the limited options available, I'd not previously looked too closely into how we were actually doing. But with the additional income from Graig Fatha I thought it about time to put it all in one place and get a monthly/annual balance. So with Fit/export, wind and a meagre contribution as a Co Charger host it's beginning to look like we shall finish the year ahead.
Jan and Feb were both negative but then PV contribution increased and wind came on board such that by the end of April it had turned around.
With a bit of luck and, apart from Nov & Dec, the remaining months should keep us well ahead while also supporting the grid with the excess from our renewable energy sources!
My, the future suddenly appears brighter once more.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:35 pm The idea of Virtual Battery for Winter just gives it a sci-fi twist.
So my annual import is circa 10,000 kWh and my average cost per kWh, even if you include the standing charge's and the small amount of gas I use would come to 10p per kWh or less, or in other words £1000 per year or less.

So I visualise my Virtual Battery as a SOC % with a calibration of £1000 credit being a SOC of 100%. In reality I would never need the battery at 100% because the WT's are generating nicely in the winter but it would guarantee me a years worth of power, even if it was out of action for a long time.

So my current Octopus dashboard shows,

But I visualise it as,

And that SOC will rise over the summer, maybe to around 50% and even have a 20% increment when we get the enforced energy £200 loan in October. So will maybe peak this year at around 70% SOC as I move into the discharge phase. :twisted:

The token £1 a month DD is in case of any virtual battery self discharge. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Sadly I'm on my mobile phone so can't see the pics, would like to though. Home about the 17th May, catch up then. We are using about 0.3kWh per day at home just with the opeeating parameters of the hybrid inverter. Everything that GFWT1 is generating is going into my slot of VB1 for Winter use. :ugeek:

I like the VB soc idea with a £1K scale 💡 8-)

Call to prayer has just kicked in, that's beer o'clock then! Handy that! :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs