How to add batteries & more PV

nowty

Re: How to add batteries & more PV

Post by nowty »

The DNO has allowed you option 1 via the G99 fast track process.

Options 2 and 3 fall foul of,

The total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase and the total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase.

The awkwardness is the hybrid inverter for option 2 being both an energy storage device and a non energy storage device. So in options 2 and 3 you exceed an aggregate capacity of 16 A per phase in the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices.

Of course what goes on the form and what eventually gets installed might be slightly different. The DNO might even OK a hybrid inverter by you ticking the boxes on the form.

I don't think a hybrid would easily charge from the existing array as they are generally DC coupled devices and some with an ability to charge from the grid but that is usually a timed affair for off peak import.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Getting too complicated for my wee brain. I'm away in the pool.
Last edited by Joeboy on Mon May 16, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

nowty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 pm The DNO has allowed you option 1 via the G99 fast track process.

The total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase and the total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase.

The awkwardness is the hybrid inverter for option 2 being both an energy storage device and a non energy storage device. So in options 2 and 3 you exceed an aggregate capacity of 16 A per phase in the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices.

Of course what goes on the form and what eventually gets installed might be slightly different. The DNO might even OK a hybrid inverter by you ticking the boxes on the form.

I don't think a hybrid would easily charge from the existing array as they are generally DC coupled devices and some with an ability to charge from the grid but that is usually a timed affair for off peak import.
Doesn't The total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase apply to the hybrid inverter and the total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase. apply to the FITS system, or am I reading that wrongly?
pudding

Post by pudding »

That's what I was originally thinking with the hybrid inverters. Obviously it can sense and charge from it own DC connected solar array, but it would need CT clamps or some sensor to tell it when to charge from the AC connection when the other solar array is generating. Like you say, if it can only charge during set times for cheap overnight rates, and not when it detects export from the other solar array, then it's a non-started. Im trying to find a manual for that hybrid to see if it gets installed with a CT clamp to detect export. I suspect not unfortunately.
Last edited by pudding on Mon May 16, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4kW array w/Fronius | 3.51kW & 3.28kW arrays w/Sunsynk 3.6kW hybrid | 6 x Pylon US3000C
8kW GSHP/MVHR/5kW A2A HP/ Ripple- KH & DW & P4 on the way :D
nowty

Post by nowty »

Countrypaul wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:40 pm
nowty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 pm The DNO has allowed you option 1 via the G99 fast track process.

Doesn't The total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase apply to the hybrid inverter and the total aggregate capacity of the Power Generating Modules that are not Electricity Storage devices do not exceed 16 A per phase. apply to the FITS system, or am I reading that wrongly?
It would apply to the hybrid and the original FIT system added together.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Interestingly on the ENA compliant database, the devices we are talking about are either classed as a "Generating Unit" or an "Energy Storage Device".

https://www.ena-eng.org/gen-ttr/

And I cannot find any hybrid types of devices under the class of "Energy Storage Device".
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Most hybrid inverters use a CT attached to the meter tails to measure current-flow in/out of the house. So if the main array is producing 2kW, the new array 1kW, and the house was using 500W then without any storage there'd be 1500W outflowing to the grid. However the hybrid inverter would target zero flowing out to the grid and would charge the batteries by 1500W irrelevant of which array is actually generating the power.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
pudding

Post by pudding »

Excellent, I hope you're right Stinsy and Nowty not quite (sorry!), as that would make things simpler and easier, just need to check/confirm/arrange how it would work with the DNO if possible. Again it seems illogical if it cant be installed, as if the output of that hybrid inverter is 3.6kW, then it shouldn't matter what batteries or solar PV is connected to it, as it cant output more than that 13A.
4kW array w/Fronius | 3.51kW & 3.28kW arrays w/Sunsynk 3.6kW hybrid | 6 x Pylon US3000C
8kW GSHP/MVHR/5kW A2A HP/ Ripple- KH & DW & P4 on the way :D
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

All inverters have an option to limit outflow. You just need to chose an inverter that is "G100 compliant" meaning that the method of limiting outflow complies with UK regulations and it cannot "accidentally" start exporting at full whack.

DNOs are extremely conservative in this respect.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:56 pm Most hybrid inverters use a CT attached to the meter tails to measure current-flow in/out of the house. So if the main array is producing 2kW, the new array 1kW, and the house was using 500W then without any storage there'd be 1500W outflowing to the grid. However the hybrid inverter would target zero flowing out to the grid and would charge the batteries by 1500W irrelevant of which array is actually generating the power.
This was my understanding too but as I'm 4,000miles from my system didn't want to say. Personally and it is personal I would be trying to drill down into that zero output/max discharge rate for a hybrid inverter while remaining compliant. My one regret is that discharge rate is limited to under 4kW on our hybrid, hence the personal. Also to be clear my knowledge is limited.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees