Off adventuring!

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Re: Off adventuring!

Post by Joeboy »

I'll try this up tomorrow and see if the added 40mm suction suckers will hold its weight and generate power through the double glazing.

One way to get around the water rating in a Turkish Winter, eh? :D
It is a very nice piece of kit indeed, neat and professional looking, well.put together. 👌

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Self supporting test complete! :lol:
Standing by for solar testing...
I'll leave it in place and if there is any upward tick at all on the powerbank I'll be happy. A very compromised, shaded, double glazed Winter test. :twisted: Come on 1%!

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Hold the bus, second test complete! It's producing! 8-) :lol:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That was beautiful to watch, sun broke the horizon and the powerbank led charge numbers started flashing in the same moment.

Casa De Turkonium has its own working RE generator. Inordinately pleased with that. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Whats it pushing out? (assuming your usb ammeter arrived)

Now, ring up amazon, advise of the b grade & ask them to intervene witha "shouldn't have happeded" discount of £10 on the unit as logistics for return replace are going to be more, & your inconvenience is worth more than the standard fiver, technically issued the B grade brings up nore questions as to stock being held versus item paid for & not unreasonably expected to be pristine & new!
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:38 pm Whats it pushing out? (assuming your usb ammeter arrived)

Now, ring up amazon, advise of the b grade & ask them to intervene witha "shouldn't have happeded" discount of £10 on the unit as logistics for return replace are going to be more, & your inconvenience is worth more than the standard fiver, technically issued the B grade brings up nore questions as to stock being held versus item paid for & not unreasonably expected to be pristine & new!
My mistake, the B sticker had more numbers, it was a driver aid. :oops:
Ammeter has not arrived yet but its pushing out something as the powerbank is charging.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:13 pm
nowty wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:26 am
AGT wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:21 am I agree with using the elec more than the gas,
But if you are keeping the gas and boiler I would run it at least once a month to keep bits and pieces running smooth
I run mine about once a quarter for about 15 mins to help the motor stop seizing and to get some throughput from the condensation trap / pump. Its disturbing though, just how many kWh are used in those 15 mins. :?
The house has been pretty constant in its gas burn each day. The difference between the burn rates is 21kWh for a few minutes over 2 hours. I'll call it 10kWh gas burnt per 1 hour for HWT heating. I'll play about with the electric side tomorrow.
This is a little surprising to me. To heat HWT with gas to around 60 degs (well thats what came out the tap this morning into a ceramic mug) costs £1.20 per day fuel cost. The tank element was pulling 2.9kW on test this morning and i normally run it for four hours per day when no using gas. 2.9x4x0.12= £1.39. That falls well within my personal 30% variance between the fuel costs so Hive gas is to the off position and switchbot solariboost is back to the on position with new Go timings.

I think the lesson there is 'don't assume', luckily it has only run once on gas since New Year so its minimal tarnishing of my soul. ;) :roll:

I am very pleased with this outcome and will be eyeballing the GCH side of things in the next couple of days. Will take a water at tap reading tomorrow morning and see if we are getting any extra efficiency bang for our extra in tank 19p per day. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stig

Post by Stig »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm This is a little surprising to me. To heat HWT with gas to around 60 degs (well that's what came out the tap this morning into a ceramic mug) costs £1.20 per day fuel cost. The tank element was pulling 2.9kW on test this morning and i normally run it for four hours per day when no using gas. 2.9x4x0.12= £1.39. That falls well within my personal 30% variance between the fuel costs so Hive gas is to the off position and switchbot solariboost is back to the on position with new Go timings.

I think the lesson there is 'don't assume', luckily it has only run once on gas since New Year so its minimal tarnishing of my soul. ;) :roll:

I am very pleased with this outcome and will be eyeballing the GCH side of things in the next couple of days. Will take a water at tap reading tomorrow morning and see if we are getting any extra efficiency bang for our extra in tank 19p per day. :D
So can you calculate a real world efficiency for your gas boiler from that? Are both heating the same volume of water or is the immersion heater only heating the top part of the tank?

I'm assuming this is for hot water only, not central heating. Sorry if I've misunderstood.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stig wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:38 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm This is a little surprising to me. To heat HWT with gas to around 60 degs (well that's what came out the tap this morning into a ceramic mug) costs £1.20 per day fuel cost. The tank element was pulling 2.9kW on test this morning and i normally run it for four hours per day when no using gas. 2.9x4x0.12= £1.39. That falls well within my personal 30% variance between the fuel costs so Hive gas is to the off position and switchbot solariboost is back to the on position with new Go timings.

So can you calculate a real world efficiency for your gas boiler from that? Are both heating the same volume of water or is the immersion heater only heating the top part of the tank?

I'm assuming this is for hot water only, not central heating. Sorry if I've misunderstood.
They both heat the same tank and the only restriction would be stratification. If I wanted a really accurate figure i'd have to gather some more details and do a more stringent test. At the moment i'm ok with close enough is good enough as an excuse to keep off gas. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm This is a little surprising to me. To heat HWT with gas to around 60 degs (well thats what came out the tap this morning into a ceramic mug) costs £1.20 per day fuel cost. The tank element was pulling 2.9kW on test this morning and i normally run it for four hours per day when no using gas. 2.9x4x0.12= £1.39. That falls well within my personal 30% variance between the fuel costs so Hive gas is to the off position and switchbot solariboost is back to the on position with new Go timings.

When you say you have the tank element running for 4 hours per day, does that mean heting for 4 hours, or culd the thermostat be trpping it off and on again for long periods during that time? Working backwards 11.2 kWh should raise the temperature of 200L of water from 10C to 60C.