Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

dlw

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by dlw »

nrgbod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:56 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:08 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:04 pm I hate the half hour gaps as it requires more re-programming of my battery inverter. :evil:
I don't start until its a complete run. :twisted:

I think we spoke about this last year? The 6 hour window is enough for me (not by design intent, more luck and a fortunate confluence of power reductions throughout the life). I'll definitely use excess slots for SH's soon enough though. :lol:
Depending on your inverter, you may be able to use a Home-Assistant or similar automation to disable battery discharge during the cheap-slot period.

I have my Deye/ Sunsync inverter working automatically with the cheap-slots. It uses the Octopus integration via the "Home Mini" to notify that dispatching (aka cheap-slot) has commenced and then through MQTT changes all of my inverter timer slots , except the 23:30- 05:30 one, to "Discharge above 100% "
When the cheap-slot/ dispatching ends another automation reverts the timer slots back to "discharge above 10% "

The change over of the five timer slots is usually within 5 seconds of the car starting or ending a cheap-slot charge.
Hi nrgbod,

I have recently seen the Sunsync inverters and I am think of switching to 2 5.5kw (no fans) from my 8kw Voltronic. I have recently been kicked off Octopus Go as they said it has been discontinued (but still listed on their site) and I am thinking of switching to Agile as I want to be able to charge my batteries when the sun doesn't shine. I have an Octopus mini and currently use HA to automate my inverter, I have seen I can connect the Sunsync to HA and wondered about your experience with them and HA.

Cheers,

Darren

*edit* Just re-read my email from Octopus regarding my Go tariff, it came to an end and I could sign up to the newer one 9p night from 7.5p and it was the Go lite that was discontinued, teaches me for read skimming :lol:
16 250w Trina panels
Voltronic Axpert Max 8Kw hybrid inverter
3 x Chinese 125Ah (19Kwh total) batteries
To be done, more panels and a wind turbine
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dlw wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:04 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:08 pm

I don't start until its a complete run. :twisted:

I think we spoke about this last year? The 6 hour window is enough for me (not by design intent, more luck and a fortunate confluence of power reductions throughout the life). I'll definitely use excess slots for SH's soon enough though. :lol:
Depending on your inverter, you may be able to use a Home-Assistant or similar automation to disable battery discharge during the cheap-slot period.

I have my Deye/ Sunsync inverter working automatically with the cheap-slots. It uses the Octopus integration via the "Home Mini" to notify that dispatching (aka cheap-slot) has commenced and then through MQTT changes all of my inverter timer slots , except the 23:30- 05:30 one, to "Discharge above 100% "
When the cheap-slot/ dispatching ends another automation reverts the timer slots back to "discharge above 10% "

The change over of the five timer slots is usually within 5 seconds of the car starting or ending a cheap-slot charge.
Hi nrgbod,

I have recently seen the Sunsync inverters and I am think of switching to 2 5.5kw (no fans) from my 8kw Voltronic. I have recently been kicked off Octopus Go as they said it has been discontinued (but still listed on their site) and I am thinking of switching to Agile as I want to be able to charge my batteries when the sun doesn't shine. I have an Octopus mini and currently use HA to automate my inverter, I have seen I can connect the Sunsync to HA and wondered about your experience with them and HA.

Cheers,

Darren

*edit* Just re-read my email from Octopus regarding my Go tariff, it came to an end and I could sign up to the newer one 9p night from 7.5p and it was the Go lite that was discontinued, teaches me for read skimming :lol:
You should do everything in your power to get on Intelligent! 6hrs (minimum!) of 7.5p/kWh electric every day, and that price is rumoured to drop in a few days some are suggesting 5p/kWh could return (not sure how fanciful that is).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 pm
Fintray wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm Nowty, hopefully they both have turned a corner and are on the mend.
Whilst I was in hospital my SWMBO couldn't get the heating to come on, it had been in holiday mode and she couldn't get it to come on! :o
Good job you made it back to turn the heating back on or else she would have never forgiven you. ;)

Having witnessed all the aliments from my elderly parents, I'd be happy to go around my late 80's with some acute solar / battery incident. Maybe by then we'll be making our own green hydrogen, thats bound not to end well. :lol:
She'd have been fine in 10 days or so once the holiday time had elapsed!
Yes, late 80's sounds ok, the cardiac arrest is nice and painless, just like a breaker tripping (lights out).
Yuff wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:50 am
Fintray wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm Nowty, hopefully they both have turned a corner and are on the mend.
Whilst I was in hospital my SWMBO couldn't get the heating to come on, it had been in holiday mode and she couldn't get it to come on! :o
I’m getting the same vibes from SWMBO, she is saying if anything happens to me she would have to sell the house :oops:
Everything is on my phone, although she does manage to turn the heating on if needed.
She hasn’t quite grasped IO yet, but slowly slowly catchy monkey
Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:58 am
I try to make everything "dead-mans-handle" so that it just works without intervention.

For example the heating element in the SH in the garden office is controlled by a Shelly. Sure I control it from my phone but primarily it works as a timer, however there is a fused Spur than can manually stop the timer activating the heating element in the cheap period and you can also control it by talking to Alexa. There is loads of other similar stuff around the house but the principle remains: while I do fiddle and faff, everything has to work autonomously without the need to mess with it, and interventions that are required can be made by talking to Alexa.

I'm going to have to make some changes to ensure SWMBO knows where everything is and how it works. :roll:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Fintray wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:54 am I'm going to have to make some changes to ensure SWMBO knows where everything is and how it works. :roll:
Re-asses every part of your system with the mindset that: "fully automated and maintenance free" trumps perfectly optimised. I'm sure a few very small changes will enable that...

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dlw

Post by dlw »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am

Hi nrgbod,

Cheers,

Darren

You should do everything in your power to get on Intelligent! 6hrs (minimum!) of 7.5p/kWh electric every day, and that price is rumoured to drop in a few days some are suggesting 5p/kWh could return (not sure how fanciful that is).
How to get on Intelligent without an EV? I could just try signing up for it I suppose ;) I am thinking about a Model 3 LR as lease cost isn't too bad at the moment but I can't until I know where my my recently self employed is going to take me. I might be able to get "proof of order" :wink:
16 250w Trina panels
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dlw wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:59 am
Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am

Hi nrgbod,

Cheers,

Darren

How to get on Intelligent without an EV? I could just try signing up for it I suppose ;) I am thinking about a Model 3 LR as lease cost isn't too bad at the moment but I can't until I know where my my recently self employed is going to take me. I might be able to get "proof of order" :wink:
You need a compatible EV or charging point for Intelligent.

If you can borrow an EV then you can get an Ohme granny for £200 on eBay, you just need to do a 5-min test charge and you're on!

TM3 is a compatible car in its own right though. Used (high milage) TM3s are under £20k now but you might find a new one works out cheaper what with low-rate finance and the "self employed" tax fiddle.

dlw

Post by dlw »

Just going through the signup and you can say you don't have a charger which is strange but you can't say you don't have a car.

Yeah I can put a 0% finance through my ltd and pay either 0 or 2% benefit in kind but I just purchased a 2nd hand van so not sure if I can get away with it, at least my profits would be close to zero for a while :lol:
16 250w Trina panels
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:58 am
Fintray wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:54 am I'm going to have to make some changes to ensure SWMBO knows where everything is and how it works. :roll:
Re-asses every part of your system with the mindset that: "fully automated and maintenance free" trumps perfectly optimised. I'm sure a few very small changes will enable that...
Most of the RE things are that already but things like taking readings for FIT's payments, who the house insurance is with, etc. etc.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yuff wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:14 am
nowty wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:55 pm I don't need it either, but increase SOC to 100%, turn down the charge rate in the EV APP and 14+ hrs cheap rate without a break. :lol:

EDIT - I've now stopped the charge by turning down the SOC target in the EV app, but I'm leaving the octopus app open with the schedule still showing and will report back when the bill for this day comes in.

Actually I’ve never tried that, it would be handy if it worked 😁
I have had a situation where I got a schedule and octopus lost contact with the vehicle whilst plugged in and I did get off peak for the duration even though no charging happened……….

When is your next bill?
Bill now in, although I did not take advantage of all the slots, it worked. The Octopus APP even warned that the SOC target in the EV was lower than the Octopus App. Someone on FB reckons this voids the slots, it might do if the charge never started but it seems that as long as the charge started, then reduce the SOC target in the EV App only a few mins later and the charge stops, it still keeps the whole schedule for billing purposes.

14.5 hrs cheap rate without a break. :twisted:

In other words, I charged the EV for only a couple of mins and still managed to get 14.5hrs of cheap slot for the house.

Cheap rate started at 18:30.

And ended at 09:00 the next morning.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff