Octopus Powerups

Countrypaul

Re: Octopus Powerups

Post by Countrypaul »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:14 am
Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:27 pm
sharpener wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:59 am

No, even if yr meter has an export register and so is technically suitable (no idea if this is usually the case) they still need to allocate an export MPAN to it.
Many thanks Sharpener, I've sent an email to Octopus requesting an export MPAN, at least, I assume that is who I need to apply to for one?
Received reply from Octopus saying they could apply for an mpan number for me but only if I was on one of their export tariffs and in doing so I should have to relinquish the deemed 50% export! As I've just signed up with Intelligent Octopus Go, mainly due to the fixed six hour overnight feature, I am reluctant to change without embarking on a raft of calculations to establish any benefit. Our panels came online in March '18 so we just qualified for that scheme, even so the deemed 50% export has totalled £295 so far this year. I am keen to support the Savings sessions and the grid with export if possible but would draw the line if a financial loss results.
Can anyone advise please that by us not being on an export tariff with Octopus, mean we shall not be able to benefit from any export undertaken during the Savings sessions? :SOS:
Apologies for seeming lack of understanding here.
If you have a "smart" meter it may well keep a tally of the amount you export, I know ours appears to. The problem may be that that can only give you the total since the meter was installed - whether you can use that to determine your approximate annual export may be dependant on when it was installed . Fairly easy if it was a winter month, but more difficult to get an accurate idea for other months.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:49 am
Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Many thanks Sharpener, I've sent an email to Octopus requesting an export MPAN, at least, I assume that is who I need to apply to for one?
Received reply from Octopus saying they could apply for an mpan number for me but only if I was on one of their export tariffs and in doing so I should have to relinquish the deemed 50% export! As I've just signed up with Intelligent Octopus Go, mainly due to the fixed six hour overnight feature, I am reluctant to change without embarking on a raft of calculations to establish any benefit. Our panels came online in March '18 so we just qualified for that scheme, even so the deemed 50% export has totalled £295 so far this year. I am keen to support the Savings sessions and the grid with export if possible but would draw the line if a financial loss results.
Can anyone advise please that by us not being on an export tariff with Octopus, mean we shall not be able to benefit from any export undertaken during the Savings sessions? :SOS:
I would very much doubt that you be able to benefit from any export payment as you would effectively be being paid twice for the export deemed and actual).
You really need to know how much you actually export and do the calculations.
Even if you have a smart meter capable of measuring export it wont count unless you have the export MPAN number and also you need to have had that MPAN number allocated for a minimum amount of days (I think 10 days or might be 2 weeks) before its valid for the saving sessions. Its used to calculate both the baseline and the saving session, therefore if your regularly exporting at peak time on agile export, your baseline will be very challenging if the saving session is held over the same peak time period.

If you do have an export tariff, I think you will be paid twice as Octopus itself will be paid twice. Once from the income selling on your export and secondly from the national grid for the demand flexibility payments. :xx:

EDIT - I misunderstood Fintray's, comment, and agree with Fintray, you cannot get deemed export and benefit from the saving sessions by exporting. :surrender:
But you should get double bubble if opted out of FIT exports and on an export tariff.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:43 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:49 am
I would very much doubt that you be able to benefit from any export payment as you would effectively be being paid twice for the export deemed and actual).
You really need to know how much you actually export and do the calculations.
Even if you have a smart meter capable of measuring export it wont count unless you have the export MPAN number and also you need to have had that MPAN number allocated for a minimum amount of days (I think 10 days or might be 2 weeks) before its valid for the saving sessions. Its used to calculate both the baseline and the saving session, therefore if your regularly exporting at peak time on agile export, your baseline will be very challenging if the saving session is held over the same peak time period.

If you do have an export tariff, I think you will be paid twice as Octopus itself will be paid twice. Once from the income selling on your export and secondly from the national grid for the demand flexibility payments. :xx:
Thanks everyone, it's very much appreciated.
Income from paid export this year would have been £123 as opposed to the deemed of £295. Seems I must be consuming something over 50% of PV generated.
I hadn't appreciated I could retain IOG for import and then combine with Outgoing Octopus for a double bonus! Is the export figure of 8p or 15p paid for all export at any time of day or is it just in certain varying time windows?
We've 30+ kWh's of battery storage and a V2H installation scheduled for 4th Dec so possibly could run domestic supply off of that while using batts entirely for export. Sounds to good to be true!
Presumably, relinquishing deemed export is a one way ticket?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 pm I hadn't appreciated I could retain IOG for import and then combine with Outgoing Octopus for a double bonus! Is the export figure of 8p or 15p paid for all export at any time of day or is it just in certain varying time windows?
The export on IOG has recently been up'd from 4.1p to 15p fixed (anytime), I think to compete with British Gas and Scottish Power who up'd theirs.

If your on GO, the export has been up'd from 4.1p to 8p fixed export (anytime).
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 pm Presumably, relinquishing deemed export is a one way ticket?
It is.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:03 pm
Adokforme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 pm I hadn't appreciated I could retain IOG for import and then combine with Outgoing Octopus for a double bonus! Is the export figure of 8p or 15p paid for all export at any time of day or is it just in certain varying time windows?
The export on IOG has recently been up'd from 4.1p to 15p fixed (anytime), I think to compete with British Gas and Scottish Power who up'd theirs.

If your on GO, the export has been up'd from 4.1p to 8p fixed export (anytime).
Many thanks for clarification Nowty. Look like the batts are going to get plenty of exercise in their time remaining!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

It did make me wonder that over a two day high wind event there has not been a Octoplus trigger? Just a passing thought.

Ah, flip it through 180 when turbines are fallow and there will be an event, maybe.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:13 am It did make me wonder that over a two day high wind event there has not been a Octoplus trigger? Just a passing thought.
We had a very high utilization of that wind power, not much surplus to give away.

This weekend might be different, lower demand and some quite lengthy consistent windy periods coming up. :xx:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

An unexpected PB yesterday and into today, 19.5hrs of IO slots in a 22hr window. :whistle:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

At what point do you think Octopus will make changes and put a stop to rampant abuse of the IO tariff?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)