Balcony solar PV

Moxi

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Moxi »

Is it suitable for some vertical winter panels ?

My foray into mounts with gabions is gaining pace, as while building the first bin store and panel stand I had plenty of thinking time. Ten hinged unistrut connectors arrived today, ten meters of channel in the spares store, lots of nuts bolts 45s flats and 90s with more channel on order soon for a new project but got to finish the bin store first then maybe a new topic and some photos ………

Moxi
AGT

Post by AGT »

Good luck, I used to love building stuff in unistrut.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:04 pm Is it suitable for some vertical winter panels ?

My foray into mounts with gabions is gaining pace, as while building the first bin store and panel stand I had plenty of thinking time. Ten hinged unistrut connectors arrived today, ten meters of channel in the spares store, lots of nuts bolts 45s flats and 90s with more channel on order soon for a new project but got to finish the bin store first then maybe a new topic and some photos ………

Moxi
Looking forward to seeing that build! There is some scope for vertical panels on a South facing fence in veg patch 2. Good idea. I think due to the size limits of the shed I'll be going to the secondhand market for panels as all the new panels are of quite a size. I now with I'd bought more of the Sharp 250's last year!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Got to agree about the benefits and value of smaller panels dotted here and there - harder to come by these days generally unless plumping for 12 and 18 volt stuff and even then the price per watt is greater.

Moxi
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:37 pm
richbee wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:08 pm
Moxi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:45 pm I don’t think we have ever seen your front shed JB? You’re a dark horse, do you want to fess up to a bunker or owt while you’re on a roll ? :hysteria:

Moxi
And maybe the stables too :lol:
TBH it's not much of anything at all (the stables are another matter). It would give us a small boost in the morning and then late afternoon into evening.

I'd literally be doing it for the craick and even at 15p per kWh export it would be long & long paying back. Never stopped us before though, right? :joker:

Ah, the bunker... :praise:
Always nice to have a new project isn't it :D
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:09 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:37 pm
richbee wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:08 pm
And maybe the stables too :lol:
TBH it's not much of anything at all (the stables are another matter). It would give us a small boost in the morning and then late afternoon into evening.

I'd literally be doing it for the craick and even at 15p per kWh export it would be long & long paying back. Never stopped us before though, right? :joker:

Ah, the bunker... :praise:
Always nice to have a new project isn't it :D
It certainly is. There are some pricey 300W new panels on ITS . They are of a smaller form factor and might do the job. I might be able to squeak a 4 panel 1.2kW add on via a 4 branch Hoymiles and tag it back to.the garage.

I'll know more once I get home and get the tape measure out. Rough guess is £750 for a 1.2kW system or £500 for a 0.6kW. Shipping costs and small scale are a £perKw killer!

Really makes me appreciate efficiency progress over the years when a 250W used panel turns out to be the same size as a 400W new. :lol:

The 300W panels are 1504x1002 so not exactly svelte!
47.6p per kW incl delivery. :shock:

The last 535's we put up were 2094x1134, I look forward to going back.to panels I can chuck about.
16.2p per kW collect from depot.

That's a huge difference in price...

There are also used 230 polys on Bimble at £30 a pop. Around 19.5p per kW delivered. They are a touch narrower and at 19.5p per kW are appealing. I think that might be the one for me as I'd rather fit used than new.

Q internal dialogue "if I buy 6 it lowers the per unit shipping cost". Recognise that? :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

It is maddening though isnt it, small panels being more expensive, I was on city plumbing web site last night and 410W was £56, Bi facials started at £68 - (couldn't find any varifocals tho :hysteria: )

I think I might be driving up to my local city plumbing with the roof rack on for a few at £56 quid or I may try some of the £68 pound if I can get my head around the mounting requirements and how I can do it in my windy area safely.

Got to tread carefully though as I still have two panels in the shed from my previous purchases that need to be installed so SWMBO might put her foot down if I bungle the "sales pitch"

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Makes sense to ask. Anybody in Northern Scotland have any diy solar plans? Wondering if it would be worth buying a pallet of these?

I know Moxi, it is rather odd. The shipping kills it with the other mobs. I went for my big panels in the van as they were a non delivery item. :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SWMBO latest idea. An unused duckboard now covers the unused FF gas hob. :D

She really is excellent!

In fact, the air fryer truly is king out here. The main oven hasn't been on once this year. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Krill

Post by Krill »

I got a custom made stainless steel cover for our hob and put a portable induction hob on it last year. Dead easy to clean and extra work top space is always welcome :xl:
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)