Hyundai Ioniq 5

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Joeboy

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:00 pm That V2L could totally be V2H. Eg if Joe bought a 1000W charger for his pylontechs…

If you watch Bjorn’s YouTube videos “always be charging” is the best strategy for BEVs. This means several short charging stops rather than on big one, which is faster and suits your bladder/stomach too.
Lads there is without a doubt an attempt going to be made to expand my home (and mobile) battery set up to a heady potential 92kWh+ of home storage. I do plan to run the HWT off of the I5 to begin with as it is the heaviest daily consumer. I'll run in a flying lead and splitter box so I can either have the I5 charging the HWT or as is and the solariboost doing it situation depending. Of course a 1kW charger would be fantastic as that would be the whole house benefiting from the extra storage not just the HWT. If anyone has shortcuts to product i'll be an avid reader.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

+1 stinsy.

BUT, BBC TV top gear episode & attitude pushing a tesla roadster around to their own ends fools to this day a lot of people.
BUT, "ratings yeah"

Joe wants range because travel to cities from the countryside is awkward AND there's homebrew charging, which in context & cost makes some sense in this case.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:15 am From our perspective, its nice to hear some good news about the apparent quality of NON tesla vehicles.

Fricking big guilt trip for us that would be driving that with a mere one or two seats filled, ..but you "kinda" covered that ground re upcycled large furnishing movements across scotland :lol:

Joe, real question, ioniq EV Taxi part time? ..captive audience to potentially convert :lol:

(I was nigh on spazzing out seeing so many Teslas + a few other EV's whilst queuing for my jab the other day, inc one DEDICATED BEV taxi firm inc tesla 3 in private hire livery) ..it made me think "EV mecca, AKA milton keynes is still a distance away BUT connectivity means the spread to an old but built up BIG town like bedford has clear echo's in terms of EV uptake, like i've not come across before" ..a real bath-tub eureka moment witnessed)
Not a chance as a taxi. Can't stand people. :)

The main reasons I veered a away from Tesla are as follows.

V2 anything decision by Elon to not act on its roll out, although there are press clippings saying maybe. I can't be involved with a mob where one individual can have such a potential affect on my RE journey.

Beyond that, this communication has been niggling at me when I enquired about tracking the car thru build

'No you won't get updates on the progress just because we don't build the cars to custom order, we just build a batch of vehicles in all the different specs, send them over to the UK and then match the cars up to orders on a first come first serve bases.
So really just a case of waiting until February/March next year to see if you get auto-matched to a vehicle and then a delivery date will be organised from there.'

In truth there is absolutely nothing wrong with the communication and It is clear. Yet there is something about it that smacks of you'll sit still and wait which just doesn't fly with me when i'm doing 58k+ Cash on a horseless carriage.

I guess a simple way to say it would be kind of 'I use Samsung phones, i'm not a fan of Apple I's and all that go with them. I like Android'! :)

I won't be guilt tripping on person capacity as I'll have a load liner in there fast and using it to collect logs as well as furniture and the Edinburgh run will be FF free! :)

I reckon about 1K to bring on the last two battery module and make the car a 78kWh, 300+bhp, fast charging, AWD, leather clad beastie. I really hope that the solar roof becomes available in the UK, I'm ok paying whatever for that even if it is a massive imbalance on financial return. :ugeek:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Understood Joe.

What hasn't been alluded to recently is the nice little earner of Tesla's powerwall as to dropped sales if the car you drove was V-2-Grid ..doubtless that's got something to do with it in terms of forecasts, logical to us isn't logical to their sales across their portfolio.

Like I say we tried very hard to not go down the tesla route too for numerous reasons, the viable alternative options were less then too.
(as in what a difference 12 months makes in recent times for EV AND a pandemic)

And, (you heard it here first) based on the lack of recording when needed, I've requested they take our car back & swap it out.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

In the event of a multi-day power outage. the thought of driving to the nearest rapid charger that has power and bringing a weeks worth of electricity home with you is compelling.

I'm interested in the long term residual values of BEVs. That battery will still be worth money long after the car is nolonger roadworthy.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I read an article on the powerwall conundrum along with potential battery degradation issues as Elons possible reasons for no V2.

At the same time I have read that Hyundai are looking to do V2G now with the I5 working with Korean power company. For me it's a no brainer and also honourable kudos points for implementation by Hyundai. Notice I use the words 'working with' to a common goal. Elon? No, didn't think so....

Regardless of Tesla moves beyond this point in time they have shown themselves poorly on this subject. I enjoyed the irony of binning the Y, booking the I5, then getting home to a mail saying there's a Y in Leeds Tesla, come see! :lol:

As an afterthought- Storm Arwen blows thru, I've got the I5. Fintrays (closest Cameloter to me) power goes tits up. 'Joe can you run my freezer for a couple of hours, I don't want the foie gras to defrost'. Easy, on my way.. That scenario or similar could be repeatable 100,000's of times over across the planet when people need it if not for Elons selfishness. How does that attitude help the world in general?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

One reason why Tesla hasn't so far allowed V2L or V2G is because until very recently, Teslas came with free lifetime Supercharging.
It would have been very easy therefore to imagine large numbers of people driving their 100kWh Model S to the local Supercharger, filling up for free (at Tesla's expense), and then driving home and selling all that free electricity back to the grid for a profit. Rinse and repeat.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm One reason why Tesla hasn't so far allowed V2L or V2G is because until very recently, Teslas came with free lifetime Supercharging.
It would have been very easy therefore to imagine large numbers of people driving their 100kWh Model S to the local Supercharger, filling up for free (at Tesla's expense), and then driving home and selling all that free electricity back to the grid for a profit. Rinse and repeat.
2017 the lifetime free stopped on new cars dan, unsure of the grades within to turning off the tap. Reads like a shot in the foot though.

Another way of putting it would be that a sales gimmick implemented by Tesla is used as an excuse by Tesla to protect their home battery business with the full brunt of this tactic going onto the end user/owner freedom and full use of product that they have paid for? Nah not me..

Further edit- 'allowed'. :(
Last edited by Joeboy on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

BTW, I've not suddenly become a Hyundai fan boy overnight. Although I always was a V2L/G/H fanboy. If Hyundai caved on the V2 I'd dump em even faster. Principles n all that. :twisted:

Last thing from me to the V2 thang. How could I wish to be in any way associated with a company who state that any attempt to back engineer a V2 piggyback onto the car will result in the voiding of the warranty? How is that in any way aligned with who we (me) are?

They want to have it entirely their own way, box you into how they want you to be and with the greatest of affection for all my Tesla brothers, WTF? Nowty you harnessed the power of an underground river FFS. Sorry, this has been building for a while and i said i wouldn't kick into Tesla.

Caveat, I am going to kick into their lack of V2 and plenty of it. :)

So you buy this asset with all this storage potential. You are a clever lad or lassie and you have some clever mates too. All stop though, some dick says you can't.... so you don't. :(

I personally want to read about Nowtys 250 kWh of battery storage, Gus's innovative patented fish cleaning system and dan b's big city neon extravaganza, all running with the help of their Teslas. Won't happen though, not as it is...

Loved the M3, couldn't wait for the Y, loved the innovative modular design, loved the Vegan seats. The whole shebang apart from V2 & paint. :roll:

Phewww data download complete. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:57 am Well that's the model Y order cancelled and a 78kWh 300 bhp ultimate Ioniq 5 ordered instead.
Ah well that's my viewing of the model Y gone however the E-Tron looks good.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf