Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Stinsy

Re: Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:09 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:55 am I like the fact Intelligent Octopus still has a 5p cheap period while Go is now 7.5p!

Really can’t sniff at 8.5 consecutive hours of cheap period either. Worth organising the car at to be at 20% battery on the coldest evenings!

I think the tariff only works with Tesla’s for now. There was a charging point on the “works with” list but now that has moved to “coming soon”.

Importantly for me, VW is listed as “coming soon”.
I was offered the Intelligent tariff and as you know, no Tesla. :roll:
My understanding is you need compatible car or charging point. And so far only Tesla. Maybe they’ve widened the net?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Every time I move the cats bed further away from the storage heater, she moves it back again. 8-)

Stinsy's post is broadly correct but the Octopus Intelligent tariff gives you 6hrs (not 5hrs) of guaranteed 5p/kWh. That was the sweetener for me to move from "Go Faster" 5hrs @ 5.5p to "Intelligent" 6hs @ 5p and my year contract with "Go Faster" was coming to an end, I foresaw price increases coming down the track so needed to lock in another year of cheap rate.

You now need an EV for either "Go" or "Go Faster" and the "Intelligent" tariff currently ONLY works with a Tesla car and you need to do a 5 min test charge with the car and phone APP to ensure the communications with the car works or else you stay on your current tariff. I think you also need to do at least one App based charge a month and Octopus reserves the right to charge peak rate on excess hrs if you continuously need to charge your EV for more than 6 hrs a night. Octopus don't yet seem to have grasped that my EV charging is ONLY a very small proportion of my cheap rate import.

Last nights 8.5 hrs of cheap rate (2.5 hrs of extra cheap rate) has got Nowty Towers through a difficult couple of days but the temperature has recovered slightly today and looks similar conditions all week so gas boiler is still remaining off. :D

Looking at the smart meter info from yesterday we imported 86.647kWh on 5p cheap rate and 0.015kWh on peak rate 24.14p, so 99.98% of import was at cheap rate. Plus the usual circa daily 1kWh of gas for cooking.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I'm going to have to disagree on this as offered Intelligent tariff last month (twice). I dont want anyone who might fancy trying for it to be put off. It is not Tesla exclusive according to the People who work at Octopus.

Thank you for getting in touch with regard to Go Faster. Since we launched Go Faster, there has been an exciting new product - Intelligent Octopus - which you may also be interested in. Intelligent Octopus is a new tariff which started in beta in early June, specifically for customers with electric vehicles.

The idea of Intelligent Octopus is that Octopus will manage your EV charging, and offers you a longer off-peak window (from 23:30 to 05:30) for car and home energy use.You can also tell us when you will need your car charged by, and we will make sure it’s ready by that point. Given those preferences, we’ll optimise for times of lower grid cost and emissions, as well as seek to support local grids.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:30 pm I'm going to have to disagree on this as offered Intelligent tariff last month (twice). I dont want anyone who might fancy trying for it to be put off. It is not Tesla exclusive according to the People who work at Octopus.

Thank you for getting in touch with regard to Go Faster. Since we launched Go Faster, there has been an exciting new product - Intelligent Octopus - which you may also be interested in. Intelligent Octopus is a new tariff which started in beta in early June, specifically for customers with electric vehicles.

The idea of Intelligent Octopus is that Octopus will manage your EV charging, and offers you a longer off-peak window (from 23:30 to 05:30) for car and home energy use.You can also tell us when you will need your car charged by, and we will make sure it’s ready by that point. Given those preferences, we’ll optimise for times of lower grid cost and emissions, as well as seek to support local grids.
That does not mean to say it will let you once you apply, did you tell them what car you are getting ?

Just tried as a test to sign my father up to the Octopus Intelligent tariff, and chose the "Hyundai Ionic" car and an "Easee" charger and got this,

You can try it yourself at, https://octopus.energy/intelligent-octopus/

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The lady I spoke to Francesca said twice no problem to sign me up. The offer was go_faster_intelligent . That was a 1 to 1 conversation not through the app or website. I told them about the Leaf.

I was surprised at the full offer going on what I had heard here regarding exclusivity. Maybe I'm more special than I thought!

Essentially I am saying there is a side door.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

If they let you have it, go for it.

5p for 6 hrs is amazing even without all the fancy stuff!

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:18 pm If they let you have it, go for it.

5p for 6 hrs is amazing even without all the fancy stuff!
I actually prefer the 5hr window at 5.5p with crucially the 21.30 start time. Works better for us at the moment. Keeping Francesca's offer in my back pocket.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm The lady I spoke to Francesca said twice no problem to sign me up. The offer was go_faster_intelligent . That was a 1 to 1 conversation not through the app or website. I told them about the Leaf.

I was surprised at the full offer going on what I had heard here regarding exclusivity. Maybe I'm more special than I thought!

That might be an agile type of "Go Faster". When I was on the Go Faster trial they wanted to push people onto an agile variant where the fixed 5 hour slot changed every night but I said I could not cope with changing settings every night so they left me on a static set of Go Faster hours. So it might be that but you pay 5p instead of 5.5p or the higher rate if its a renewal.

So make sure you understand what you are getting into if you change to that because if it turns out to be the wrong puppy a change back to Go or Go Faster might take you onto the new higher rates.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

At one point I imagined a GO/Agile hybrid being the perfect tariff. It would work by giving you static “peak” and “off-peak” time periods so you could set-and-forget all your timers, but the prices would vary from one day to the next based on market. That way you could take advantage of zero/negative prices when circumstances permitted.

However if you were on such a tariff you’d have been screwed in the market conditions seen during the last year or so.

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:41 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm The lady I spoke to Francesca said twice no problem to sign me up. The offer was go_faster_intelligent . That was a 1 to 1 conversation not through the app or website. I told them about the Leaf.

That might be an agile type of "Go Faster". When I was on the Go Faster trial they wanted to push people onto an agile variant where the fixed 5 hour slot changed every night but I said I could not cope with changing settings every night so they left me on a static set of Go Faster hours. So it might be that but you pay 5p instead of 5.5p or the higher rate if its a renewal.

So make sure you understand what you are getting into if you change to that because if it turns out to be the wrong puppy a change back to Go or Go Faster might take you onto the new higher rates.
Cheers, it was Intelligent tariff.No hybrid. Happier to have our 21.30 switch on, gives us time to sort out as we like to for any last minute changes. I may switch down the road as I discussed with Octopus. TBH, I am quite happy and settled as we are.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs