Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
AE-NMidlands

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Adokforme wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:35 pm Hi AGT, there will be no need to change energy supplier to one engaged on Ripples scheme until the Wind farm commences generation.
Also, there is no need to have a Smart Meter unless you wish to enlist on one of the Smart tariffs.
In fact in the last couple of days I read (or heard on a Ripple video) the advice not to change supplier at the moment as it would mean losing the protection of the tarriff you are currently on.
Hopefully nearer the time people will be able to find a way to change supplier without a financial penalty that outweighs what Ripple will feed back to us.

SWMBO has just said she has found a news report that Octopus will charge £50 less than the next price cap. Hope they can stand that.
Luckily for him, my son got transferred to E.on Next when his last supplier went bust. Given their size that must put a lot of other people on the inside too...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
TCA

Post by TCA »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:30 am In fact in the last couple of days I read (or heard on a Ripple video) the advice not to change supplier at the moment as it would mean losing the protection of the tarriff you are currently on.
Hopefully nearer the time people will be able to find a way to change supplier without a financial penalty that outweighs what Ripple will feed back to us.
A
You only lose the protection of the price cap if you switch to a tariff that isn't a standard variable tariff. i.e. a fixed tariff. However at the moment most suppliers aren't desperate to lose money by taking on new customers on a variable tariff when energy prices are higher than the price cap, so most offerings at the moment tend to be fixed rate deals.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I would love to be in Wales today to see the guy ropes released and hear the *clunk* as the breaker(s) thrown. :ugeek:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

TCA wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:01 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:30 am In fact in the last couple of days I read (or heard on a Ripple video) the advice not to change supplier at the moment as it would mean losing the protection of the tarriff you are currently on.
A
You only lose the protection of the price cap if you switch to a tariff that isn't a standard variable tariff. i.e. a fixed tariff. However at the moment most suppliers aren't desperate to lose money by taking on new customers on a variable tariff when energy prices are higher than the price cap, so most offerings at the moment tend to be fixed rate deals.
again, I thought it was the other way round. The suppliers are not obliged to accept any new customer and don't want to lose money, so will only offer you a variable (or a fixed high) tarriff, which are currently only on offer at an extremely high price.
When they accept people pushed on them by the Regulator they have to offer them the Ofgem capped price tarriff, which is why all of us have to cough up to subsidise them for the additional supply they have to deliver which they haven't been able to hedge.

I believe if you are on a fixed term tarriff with a supplier and it runs out you get switched to the default Ofgem capped price, which means that currently the company loses money, but in normal times was a recipe for getting milked.
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:59 am I would love to be in Wales today to see the guy ropes released and hear the *clunk* as the breaker(s) thrown. :ugeek:
I did some electrical upgrade work here at Nowty Towers last week.

Even though I was very confident I had everything correctly re-wired up, I still had my eyes closed, looking away and gritting my teeth when I turned the main breaker back on. :lol:

Ended up being very undramatic. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Moxi wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 am I was offered a fixed 12 month price with EON Next that’s the same rate as the current cap BUT I had to agree to a smart meter ? Made my alarm bells ring immediately- why would a smart meter be required for a fixed term tariff- can’t help thinking that there are plans for the big companies to make smart meters work in their favour as time progresses.

Moxi
I signed up with EON next last year on a very good 15p / kWh 2 year fixed tariff for 2 properties and I'm getting bombarded with letters and sms saying I have to have a smart meter fitted or they can take me off the tariff and that's what I agreed to when I signed up.

example;
"as part of your current tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted. Click the link below to pick a date and time that suits you. If you don’t agree to have a smart meter fitted we may have to change your tariff and this could mean you end up paying more for your energy."

If they do I will take them to the regulator as that's not true. the terms say;

They have an agenda. Nowhere does / did it say I have to have a smart meter or that they can take me of a tariff I am already on. I'm not against smart meters but the situation in Ukraine has shown what can be done with smart tec via backdoors. I have 2 meters here and one is smart and is great but why do they have a relay in them?
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:46 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:59 am I would love to be in Wales today to see the guy ropes released and hear the *clunk* as the breaker(s) thrown. :ugeek:
I did some electrical upgrade work here at Nowty Towers last week.

Even though I was very confident I had everything correctly re-wired up, I still had my eyes closed, looking away and gritting my teeth when I turned the main breaker back on. :lol:

Glad to hear it went 👍! I was teaching my son yesterday about proving dead before commencing work. Especially on his property which has multiple isolation points and not just
one CU. Storage heaters etc.

I'm away to set up another weather point on my phone so I can keep an eye on Graig Fatha. :) I wonder if it's on yet?
16.2mph down there, 8.7mph up here. Unashamedly excited! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:46 am
Undramatic is always the best way in such situations, I remember seeing the inside of a 3.3kV isolator that had managed to be switched back on whilst it was still earthed, parts has just vaporised and the inside of the cabinet was coated with a copper coloured film. The guy that operated the breaker must have needed clean underwear after it.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:51 am I'm away to set up another weather point on my phone so I can keep an eye on Graig Fatha. :) I wonder if it's on yet?
16.2mph down there, 8.7mph up here. Unashamedly excited! :)
and nice and steady for the whole of the rest of the week too. Perfect for commissioning and running in...
Wonder if there will be any money back in April, or whether it will be May before we see it?
A